Need Amp Setting Tips - JL Audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

tracyrick
10+ year member

Limited035
I read the tutorials, now I want to know how the pros do it for my specific setup.

500/1 going to a 12W6V2 in the JL 1.25cu sealed box. Also a 300/2 going to MB Quart QSC216 6.5" fronts (component speakers).

1. Subsonic Filter - With my sealed box, just leave this off? Or put it on a low setting? Any suggestions for a low setting number?

2. LPF and HPF's - My Alpine HU has great crossover features and I know how to use them. Should I just use my HU for this and leave the amp filters off?

3. Remote turn-on lead wire - Should I just crimp the remote wire from my HU onto the two remote wires from both amps? Should be enough power to do this split, yes?

1. Subsonic Filter - With my sealed box, just leave this off? Or put it on a low setting? Any suggestions for a low setting number?
You don't really need the subsonic filter if you have a sealed box. If the amp had a facility similar to that of Orion's IntelliQ or Infinity's DBO, then you would set it to a number above the Fs of the driver, but really with a sealed box and no feature like that, I'd leave it off altogether.

2. LPF and HPF's - My Alpine HU has great crossover features and I know how to use them. Should I just use my HU for this and leave the amp filters off?
Yes, unless the amp driving the sub has a better slope than the HU in which case I'd use the amp LPF instead. Or you could cascade them to get more slope (i.e. use both the LPF on the HU and on the amp) but that will modify the crossover freqeuncy slightly as well. (I think it will depress the LP xover frequency a bit, but give you double the slope.) On the speaker side (the HPF) I'd let the HU do it and not bother with the amp.

3. Remote turn-on lead wire - Should I just crimp the remote wire from my HU onto the two remote wires from both amps? Should be enough power to do this split, yes?
Yeah if it's just two amps, you'll be fine running off the one remote wire. 3 is usually acceptable too, but at 3 I'd prefer to use a relay on it as it's cheap insurance. Anyway with only 2 things connnected to it, you'll be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.