*NEED ADVICE* or opinions on my setup i recently purchased.

I recently purchased this setup off of Craigslist for a great price. I was thinking that maybe, the amp may not be enough for them so i wanted to post on here and see what you guys think. I have two 12" Kicker subs and powering them is a SSL Edge 800w Amp. Should i keep this amp or should i upgrade it right away? It seems to play them well so far without getting hot but i feel like if i got something bigger maybe i could get more out of them.

20140420_205454_resized_zpscb68de95.jpg

00p0p_a1OPZvQ2N5I_600x450_resized_zpsf05d15fb.jpg

The amp does 800 watts bridged to one channel at 4ohms.

Both your subs together do 500w rms and peak at 1000w rms. Really id say if you try to power both those subs at full peak wattage you prob would blow it.

From the fuse rating of 1x40 your amp prob does max 500 watts if anything or less so its your choice if you choose to upgrade.

At full gain on the amp youll be running the subs at its normal rms rating.

The amp does 800 watts bridged to one channel at 4ohms.
Both your subs together do 500w rms and peak at 1000w rms. Really id say if you try to power both those subs at full peak wattage you prob would blow it.

From the fuse rating of 1x40 your amp prob does max 500 watts if anything or less so its your choice if you choose to upgrade.

At full gain on the amp youll be running the subs at its normal rms rating.
do you even know what your talking about.... Full gain does not = normal rms rating. Full gain = blown subs/amps. Gains should be set matching the input voltage of your head unit. You also never Use Peak output/power for ANYTHING its just overinflated garbage numbers they feed the unknowing consumer to sell their junk.

Op, you bought a very basic bottom of the line beginner setup. Not sure how loud you want it but It'll do for some bass fill. That SSL amp is for speakers and tweeters and its in the junk category of amps so you'll be lucky seeing 50 rms a channel out of it. The subs are not that great either.

What bmk6795 meant about the box is that its a pre built cookie cutter box. These are generally poor designed boxes that does not have enough port area and is tuned pretty high so it wont dig into lower notes and generally sound not as pleasing.

If you have high expectations of loud bass, you might as well sell it all and start over with proper equipment. If you dont care and just want some bass fill then you can keep that setup and run it.

that setup is not worth anymore then 120 to be honest.

do you even know what your talking about.... Full gain does not = normal rms rating. Full gain = blown subs/amps. Gains should be set matching the input voltage of your head unit.

Op, you bought a very basic bottom of the line beginner setup. Not sure how loud you want it but It'll do for some bass fill. That SSL amp is for speakers and tweeters and its in the junk category of amps so you'll be lucky seeing 50 rms a channel out of it. The subs are not that great either.

What bmk6795 meant about the box is that its a pre built cookie cutter box. These are generally poor designed boxes that does not have enough port area and is tuned pretty high so it wont dig into lower notes and generally sound not as pleasing.

If you have high expectations of loud bass, you might as well sell it all and start over with proper equipment. If you dont care and just want some bass fill then you can keep that setup and run it.

that setup is not worth anymore then 120 to be honest.
I think that joining this forum was a mistake. Everyone seems to have that my **** is bigger than yours attitude. The amp only pushing 50 watts lol? Wow. Nothing but unhelpful douchy comments. Oblivioisly this isnt going to win competitions but its definitly more than bottom of the line. I have had thoes ****** subs and amps from walmart or the flea market, now thoes are garbage bottom of the line.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif i must be setting my gains incorrectly then..

Running my HU at max settings so my simple 2-4 volt HU can make my 500 watt amp clip at full gain haha.

I never said go and run it at full gain i just said you can run it at full gain if you wanted.

Your comment was more then useless. With your knowledge you must be ballin with those dd's in back of a lambo to call someones system junk

I think that joining this forum was a mistake. Everyone seems to have that my **** is bigger than yours attitude. The amp only pushing 50 watts lol? Wow. Nothing but unhelpful douchy comments. Oblivioisly this isnt going to win competitions but its definitly more than bottom of the line. I have had thoes ****** subs and amps from walmart or the flea market, now thoes are garbage bottom of the line.
so you want us to butter you up and tell you lies? I'm just telling things straight up, There are waaay better stuff out there for the money. There are garbage companies that overrate their stuff and SSL is one of them along with boss, pyle, power accoustik and lanzar. I already said if your just looking for bass fill then that setup will work for you. Seems like your the close minded d-bag that refuses to listen to any advice.

Novices are going to listen to what they want to hear. But listen up; if you want a healthy, nice-sounding system that will be around for years to come, you listen to experienced people who try giving you advice. Nobody is trying to one-up you, nobody is trying to be a jerk. But we don't take kindly to people spreading false information. If you have a problem with that, that's your loss entirely.

Whats wrong with the box? That was a very unhelpful almost snobby comment that answered none of my questions
This comment probably wont help much, but i'm going to say what I had before I upgraded to a more expensive cleaner system..

Your kickers are awesome beginner subs. I had 2 kicker comp 12's in a box kind of like that. But I built my own custom box. I knew nothing about boxes, cubes, port sizes anything. But the box I build had 2 chambers, one for each sub, and had 3 dividers inside of it. It made them sound super awesome (for the price) I had a cheap 400 watt dual amp from walmart that was probably barely pushing 100 watt rms. But it sounded nice. Later on I went to my local audio shop and purchased a JL 250/1 amp and threw it on there, that had a few more options on the back of the amp to help tune it. The amp was like $150 at the local shop, probably half the price online. I really enjoyed that setup. And for my beginner setup it slammed pretty good for me.

I suggest building your own box first. But if you don't have the time/tools needed get you an amp first! Something that has more options on the back of it to help tune it to please you more, from there you can look into a another box.

Goodluck!

[quote name='basswiigee'] kx600 on here that will probably double output versus amp your using.... @CRXBMPN;[/QUOTE]

Gain over the amp he is using would be nearly inaudible I'm guessing. Probably the equivalent of 1 click on the volume knob assuming no compression losses. This is a bit misleading since to SOUND twice as loud, assuming OP's amp will make 400W, he would need around 3500W, and I'm sure even a noob can guess how far those kickers would go on that.

IMO the first comment was correct in that the only real "upgrade" from where you're sitting would be a good box. Adding power would likely break those subs before you had a noticeable gain for your money and replacing subs on that amp in that box would be pissing into the wind.

The Kicker Comp 12 4-ohm SVC subs are rated to handle up to 150 watts each (so are the 2-ohm SVC Comp 12s)

Reference Links: Kicker 10C124 Comp 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

2-ohm version: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lDt1jZLfhtp/p_206C122/Kicker-10C122.html#details-tab

-------

The Soundstream SSL Edge DG2800 is rated as follows:

200W x 2 RMS @ 2Ω

150W x 2 RMS @ 4Ω

Fuse rating: 1 x 40 amps

-------

Reference link: Soundstorm DG2800 Edge Series 2-Channel 800W Mosfet Power Amplifier with Remote Sub Level Control

With a 40 amp fuse, the amp will be limited to max of 120 watts RMS per channel at a nominal 12 volts power, but may be able to put out more if your system can power it at closer to 14v. I have no direct experience with the amp, but per the specs, it is roughly well matched to the subs.

If you have the 4-ohm SVC Comps, then the best way to wire them with this amp is one sub per channel. If you have 2-ohm SVC Comp 12's then I would wire them in series to 4-ohms and bridge the amp channels into a single output.

I agree with the other posters that first thing to do would be to make an enclosure that is well matched to the Kicker Subs.

You can find info on box types and sizes for these drivers here: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/206/206C82.PDF

Which Subs do you have? 2-ohm SVC or 4-ohm SVC?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.