Need advice on setup from audio experts..

Participant count
  • Participant list

luism

I have a Nissan 350Z 2003 with the factory Bose System. An after market cd/radio was added: the Pioneer FH-P8000BT Double-DIN CD Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth®. But I wanted en extra tight clear bass punch/kick to the system, so I had a shop add 2 Kenwood KFC-XW12 - 12" 4 Ohm Subwoofers in a custom made sealed enclosure powered by a Kenwood Excelon X500-1 Amplifier.

So this is my problem:

Its all installed, but the subwoofers take over anything I play.. any song with any kind of beat (regular standard pop music) I just hear a rumble when the kick/beat hits.. the mids and highs are barely audible.. they are drowned out by the bass of the subwoofers.. I literally feel as if I am by the large bass speaker in a club and just feel/hear the rumble of the bass but no mids or highs.. The vocals are like a wimper.

So the Pioneer has an option to turn the subwoofer off.. so when I do that the Bose built in woofer is not active.. ( I figure the the installer couldn't keep both so it had to be one or the other?) But even then the mids and highs sound wimpy.. not power or clarity, almost flat and echoey and drowned.. In this mode I do front/rear left/right settings to test the speakers and they are wimpy even at high volume. its not a nice clear sound that i would expect a semi decent Bose system to have.

When I turn the subwoofer back on the subwoofers start rumbling at volume 10 (note that a normal volume is around 20). The back immediately starts trembling my rear hatch shakes.

I am frustrated, I dont know if its an adjustment issue..(I have tried) maybe the settings on the subwoofer are not set up right.. I placed all the settings on the pioneer to factory settings.. ie no pluses or minuses in any option.. and still the same thing.. I am going to the shop that installed it, I am just afraid that they might not know what I need, I notice that all their installs are for neighborhood rumbling cars/competitions .. where sound fidelity is not the number one concern.

In Chicago can anyone recommend where can I have someone look at this for me? What service would it be? Auto audio calibration?

In the sub-woofer amp itself there are settings ( I haven't touched not sure what they are or what they do, dont want to blow the sub-woofer speakers) Anyone know what do the sub-woofers settings in the Kenwood x500 do/mean in layman terms?

If the tech guy can't understand what I need, what can I do?

I have pdf's of everything that I mentioned above.. (bose diagram for 350z, pioneer cd receiver, Kenwood Amp and Sub-woofers) any suggestions would be great, I am not sure what to tell the tech?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks!

Look up Showtime Audio in the Chicago area. I'm sure some minor tweaks could make a big difference in your sound, but some additional upgrades may be required to get the sound you want. It sounds like your subwoofer amplifier isn't set correctly. The gain should be turned down so the bass isn't overpowering the speakers so much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.