Need advice on budget Audio Setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

hims

Canada
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum, please correct me if I have posted in wrong section.

I have a Toyota Corolla 2010 with factory speakers and head unit. I am planning to upgrade the system, but with very little budget. I want to add/replace things one by one so that it doesn't hurt my pocket at once.

I know a few things about sound setup (I did my home audio setup), but really noob about car audio. I know I cannot expect any real sound quality with my budget, but I will be happy to settle for a "good enough" quality. I am not a bass junkie, clear audio is what I am looking for. Here is my current plan:

1. Change the rear speakers: the current ones are blown, so they need to be changed. I am looking for something within $100 or so. The speakers need to be work without an amp, but should be capable to handle a decent amp in the future. The size I am looking for is 6x9.

2. Change the head unit: my car has space for double DIN head unit. I can go with single DIN, but I think double will look good (this is the only part that will be visible in the setup). My budget is about $75 to $150. USB and AUX is must, bluetooth/CD is optional.

3. Change front speakers: I don't want to alter my car, so component is not an option for me. I am looking for a decent 6.5" coaxial within about $100. And like the rears, the fronts need to work with or without an amp.

4. Add an amp: I will put the amp at last. I am not looking for a huge power here (I have a 6 month old), just enough juice to run the speakers in full capacity.

5. Sub : most likely, I will not add a sub to my system.

Please suggest me some options for speakers and HU. Used is not a good option for me, I don't have much local option and shipping costs way too much.

PS: I know rear speakers are not that important, but with my budget and limitations, I am not sure I can pull a good sound stage with the fronts.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,

H

Pioneer tsa6966r rears

Pioner tsd1730 fronts. Just 2 side tape the tweeters to the dash to make no marks

X731BT pioneer double din

Pioneer gmd1004 amp

I would suggest running 2 channels to components up front. 6x9's off factory power and bridging 2 channels to an efficient small 8 or 10 inch sub. You will be lacking in bass and mid bass with that setup and a sub would greatly round it out.

Hello guys,
I am new to this forum, please correct me if I have posted in wrong section.

I have a Toyota Corolla 2010 with factory speakers and head unit. I am planning to upgrade the system, but with very little budget. I want to add/replace things one by one so that it doesn't hurt my pocket at once.

I know a few things about sound setup (I did my home audio setup), but really noob about car audio. I know I cannot expect any real sound quality with my budget, but I will be happy to settle for a "good enough" quality. I am not a bass junkie, clear audio is what I am looking for. Here is my current plan:

1. Change the rear speakers: the current ones are blown, so they need to be changed. I am looking for something within $100 or so. The speakers need to be work without an amp, but should be capable to handle a decent amp in the future. The size I am looking for is 6x9.

2. Change the head unit: my car has space for double DIN head unit. I can go with single DIN, but I think double will look good (this is the only part that will be visible in the setup). My budget is about $75 to $150. USB and AUX is must, bluetooth/CD is optional.

3. Change front speakers: I don't want to alter my car, so component is not an option for me. I am looking for a decent 6.5" coaxial within about $100. And like the rears, the fronts need to work with or without an amp.

4. Add an amp: I will put the amp at last. I am not looking for a huge power here (I have a 6 month old), just enough juice to run the speakers in full capacity.

5. Sub : most likely, I will not add a sub to my system.

Please suggest me some options for speakers and HU. Used is not a good option for me, I don't have much local option and shipping costs way too much.

PS: I know rear speakers are not that important, but with my budget and limitations, I am not sure I can pull a good sound stage with the fronts.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,

H
switch your budget around

spend more on a proper head unit and it'll work wonders even with cheap speakers.

That head unit gary suggested is pretty good if you want to keep it basic

I would go with the pioneer avh 2700 bhs if you want even better options and a touch screen, DVD, back up camera, bluetooth, USB, SD card(store movies) android link, sound quality options are through the roof as well. Not to mention it looks a lot more classy and brings the value of the car up a lot more.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=avh+2700

OR if you want a simple install with single din, look at sony MEX 100bt, it has a built in 45 x 4 channel amp so you dont have to spend money on an amp or amp kit, this is the laziest way.

Here's an issue with changing out your speakers. For a fact, stocks will sound better than aftermarkets if your budget is only 100 dollars and all you are doing is just plug and play and call it a day.

There's a HUGE checklist of install procedures you need to follow if you want any decent sound quality out of door speakers, if you dont follow those procedures, you WILL sound worse than stock, i used to own a corolla, i know how sh*tty the acoustics of that vehicle is.

In order for aftermarkets to work, you need acoustical sound treatment, which includes turning your door into a speaker enclosure through mass loaded vinyl and deadener along with creating a proper seal between the door panel and the speaker basically recreating the factory seal. IF you dont do either of these, your speakers wont have any low frequency response and the vocals will sound dull, and lifeless.

However for 100 dollars for 6.5 speakers, Incriminator audio does really well vs most others in its price range.

Speakers - Incriminator Audio - SSA STORE

this is my buddy mark's setup with the 6.5 coaxials, watch with an actual sound system and not your phone lol.

[video=youtube;IaVSNFHfY-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVSNFHfY-U

For the rears, they really arent important at all, the fronts will drown them out especially if you have the fronts amped. You dont go to a concert with your back facing the band, same concept in the car, rears are mainly for passengers, however with a good front stage, you can be heard over 50 feet away, rear passengers will hear the music just fine. Get these, they are extremely budget friendly and sounds a lil better than stock.

GRS 69AS-4 6" x 9" Dual Cone Replacement Car Speaker 4 Ohm

and just have them on head unit power, they will work fine on head unit power

For an amp This is more than plenty of clean power and its small enough to fit under your seats and out of sight. Owned it and it served me very well.

Precision Power PPI i520.4 iON 520W 4-Channel Class-D Amplifier

HERE's a twist though, you can get one of those 6 x 9s and one of these subwoofers and have the cheap 6x9 on head unit power. The fronts will have two channels of the amp, the rear two channels can be used to power the 6x9 subwoofer. You'll get a pretty balanced sound and full in your car while maintaining a fully stealth and stock look.

Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer

Thanks Gary for your reply.

I liked your suggested gears, specifically the head unit. And I am considering to include a low profile sub in the setup.

Pioneer tsa6966r rearsPioner tsd1730 fronts. Just 2 side tape the tweeters to the dash to make no marks

X731BT pioneer double din

Pioneer gmd1004 amp

I would suggest running 2 channels to components up front. 6x9's off factory power and bridging 2 channels to an efficient small 8 or 10 inch sub. You will be lacking in bass and mid bass with that setup and a sub would greatly round it out.

Thanks Jeff, for your reply. I will go through the suggestions you made.

About the acoustic sound treatment, I have that in my mind. But with zero experience with car installation, I don't know how much of that I can actually implement. But I like this type of work.... so I will keep trying...

switch your budget around
spend more on a proper head unit and it'll work wonders even with cheap speakers.

That head unit gary suggested is pretty good if you want to keep it basic

I would go with the pioneer avh 2700 bhs if you want even better options and a touch screen, DVD, back up camera, bluetooth, USB, SD card(store movies) android link, sound quality options are through the roof as well. Not to mention it looks a lot more classy and brings the value of the car up a lot more.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=avh+2700

OR if you want a simple install with single din, look at sony MEX 100bt, it has a built in 45 x 4 channel amp so you dont have to spend money on an amp or amp kit, this is the laziest way.

Here's an issue with changing out your speakers. For a fact, stocks will sound better than aftermarkets if your budget is only 100 dollars and all you are doing is just plug and play and call it a day.

There's a HUGE checklist of install procedures you need to follow if you want any decent sound quality out of door speakers, if you dont follow those procedures, you WILL sound worse than stock, i used to own a corolla, i know how sh*tty the acoustics of that vehicle is.

In order for aftermarkets to work, you need acoustical sound treatment, which includes turning your door into a speaker enclosure through mass loaded vinyl and deadener along with creating a proper seal between the door panel and the speaker basically recreating the factory seal. IF you dont do either of these, your speakers wont have any low frequency response and the vocals will sound dull, and lifeless.

However for 100 dollars for 6.5 speakers, Incriminator audio does really well vs most others in its price range.

Speakers - Incriminator Audio - SSA STORE

this is my buddy mark's setup with the 6.5 coaxials, watch with an actual sound system and not your phone lol.

[video=youtube;IaVSNFHfY-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVSNFHfY-U

For the rears, they really arent important at all, the fronts will drown them out especially if you have the fronts amped. You dont go to a concert with your back facing the band, same concept in the car, rears are mainly for passengers, however with a good front stage, you can be heard over 50 feet away, rear passengers will hear the music just fine. Get these, they are extremely budget friendly and sounds a lil better than stock.

GRS 69AS-4 6" x 9" Dual Cone Replacement Car Speaker 4 Ohm

and just have them on head unit power, they will work fine on head unit power

For an amp This is more than plenty of clean power and its small enough to fit under your seats and out of sight. Owned it and it served me very well.

Precision Power PPI i520.4 iON 520W 4-Channel Class-D Amplifier

HERE's a twist though, you can get one of those 6 x 9s and one of these subwoofers and have the cheap 6x9 on head unit power. The fronts will have two channels of the amp, the rear two channels can be used to power the 6x9 subwoofer. You'll get a pretty balanced sound and full in your car while maintaining a fully stealth and stock look.

Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer

Thanks Jeff, for your reply. I will go through the suggestions you made.
About the acoustic sound treatment, I have that in my mind. But with zero experience with car installation, I don't know how much of that I can actually implement. But I like this type of work.... so I will keep trying...
These are some guides

This is a build log by a very well respected acoustic engineer that goes into detail about sound treatment.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive-6.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.