Need advice on adding EQ to my factory stereo

Participant count
  • Participant list

RobFocus

I just got a 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback, and not surprisingly, the sound quality is very mediocre, although not the worst I've heard in a factory stereo of a compact car. But I realized that within certain limits it can be improved when I connected my cell phone using Bluetooth and playing music using a great app called Poweramp, which has an EQ and Bass and Treble controls.

In my old car I had a nice Pioneer stereo with 4 speakers of the same brand, and an Infinity 12" subwoofer powered by an amp which name I can't remember right now, all installed by myself, including new cabling. I know that in this case to get that kind of sound I couldn't do it myself, and I would have to take it to some certified technician, but regardless I don't want to change the stereo because I don't want to mess up the car too much. Unfortunately new cars have these stereos that are part of the dashboard instead of a simple separate part that you can simple unscrew and pull out like it used to be up to the 90's. To give you an idea, this is my stereo:

v5Yzu0u.jpg

The other reason I don't want to replace it is that the stereo itself, except for the sound quality, is great, and it's all tied together with the Bluetooth functionality that allows me to speak on the phone just by saying call and whatever name I want to call, and talk without touching the phone at all, as well as stream music from the phone.

But as much as the sound improves streaming from Poweramp in the phone, I can only play and pause, not change tracks or albums, without grabbing the phone, and I hate fiddling with the phone while I'm driving, so I wanted to ask the experts here if they know how far can I take this car without replacing the stereo. For example, the glove compartment has a lot of depth, so I was hoping I could put an EQ there, perhaps something like this: Amazon.com : Clarion EQS746 1/2 DIN Graphic Equalizer with Built-in Crossover : Vehicle Equalizers : Car Electronics

Then I was thinking about replacing the speakers for some better ones, and if possible to install my amp and subwoofer, but only if there is a completely safe way to pass the cable that goes to the battery from the amp, and the cable from the amp to the subwoofer. It's a new car so I don't want to start cutting things or drilling, or anything like that. If it can be done without any damage to the car, no matter how small, I'll do it, if not, then so be it.

One thing I was wondering, say for now I just want to put an EQ. Can you just add an EQ to a factory stereo that will get the signal from the speaker outputs and connect the cables that go to the speakers to the outputs of the EQ? I know this could sound horribly wrong, certainly not the way it is with home audio, but I don't know enough about car audio to know if there are some EQs made like that, or if the only way is Stereo>EQ>Amp>Speakers. I know certainly if you use a subwoofer the latter has to be the only way, but this is driving tiny door speakers, so I'm wondering if it's possible.

Thanks

You can do something like a JBL MS-8. A few years back someone added one to a factory BMW setup and scored VERY high at a finals SQ comp. Basically you can add in a processor not just a cheap EQ

You can do something like a JBL MS-8. A few years back someone added one to a factory BMW setup and scored VERY high at a finals SQ comp. Basically you can add in a processor not just a cheap EQ
Sorry, I guess I should've specified. I'm not looking to spend an exorbitant amount of money on just improving the stereo. That JBL MS-8 is a bit short of $500. That's what I paid for my Pioneer stereo and then for the four Pioneer speakers for my old car, and I was very happy with it for the last 9 years, along with the Infinity subwoofer. I would spend more than $500 to redo the whole audio system in this car at some point in the future, but I would never spend $500 on just an amp, unless I would have to use my car several hours a day.

Sorry, I guess I should've specified. I'm not looking to spend an exorbitant amount of money on just improving the stereo. That JBL MS-8 is a bit short of $500. That's what I paid for my Pioneer stereo and then for the four Pioneer speakers for my old car, and I was very happy with it for the last 9 years, along with the Infinity subwoofer. I would spend more than $500 to redo the whole audio system in this car at some point in the future, but I would never spend $500 on just an amp, unless I would have to use my car several hours a day.
The MS-8 is a full blown processor with a small amp built in. You could do one of those JL clean sweeps to just make it better but it won't do what a processor will do. That's the only way to make a stock deck better.

The MS-8 is a full blown processor with a small amp built in. You could do one of those JL clean sweeps to just make it better but it won't do what a processor will do. That's the only way to make a stock deck better.
Gotcha. Well, but I would have to check if it's compatible with my car, because at least according to Amazon is not, but you know how those things are, sometimes they're right, other times they're wrong.

That EQ wont really do anything useful at all. Pretty useless really Does more harm then good most of the times. Go with that sound processor.
Well, it does help. I don't know if a car EQ would help, but my reasoning behind it is what I put above, the sound improves quite a lot, without being great but much better than just putting a CD in the stereo, when I connect my phone and play music with Poweramp with the EQ and tone controls on. This processor may be better, but it's also close to $500. Maybe some day, but not for now. Gotta make those car payments //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

EQs are meant to cut peaks. If you are turning knobs up all you are doing is distorting the signal. It may sound louder(distortion is louder) but it will not sound better.
Believe me, it does sound better, not louder. One thing I learned from connecting the phone with Poweramp to this and my girlfriend's car stereo, is that the tone controls factory stereos have are terrible, that the treble control will probably raise the 6 KHz frequency making everything sound metallic, and for bass 150 Mhz to make it sound more boomy. But once you set the stereo's controls to the center, and you raise the right frequencies, it sounds much better. Not great, it's still a factory cheap stereo with cheap speakers, but way better than the stereo by itself. The only thing that I have to be careful with is how much I raise the bass from Poweramp, because it puts out really good bass that this stereo and especially these speakers can't handle, so I had a couple of plocs here and there.

Believe me, it does sound better, not louder. One thing I learned from connecting the phone with Poweramp to this and my girlfriend's car stereo, is that the tone controls factory stereos have are terrible, that the treble control will probably raise the 6 KHz frequency making everything sound metallic, and for bass 150 Mhz to make it sound more boomy. But once you set the stereo's controls to the center, and you raise the right frequencies, it sounds much better. Not great, it's still a factory cheap stereo with cheap speakers, but way better than the stereo by itself. The only thing that I have to be careful with is how much I raise the bass from Poweramp, because it puts out really good bass that this stereo and especially these speakers can't handle, so I had a couple of plocs here and there.
150hz is not bass its midbass

Trust me, i ran that exact EQ for several years, its a waste of time compared to a good head unit. When you have a good setup, you dont even have to touch an EQ. That particular EQ makes the sound quality worse most of the times. Boosting causes distortion and clipping, meanwhile turning frequencies down completely destroy the sound quality because it skews the frequency response at a very unnatural way. The only way you can get better sound control is from a parametric EQ not a Graphical EQ. Know the difference between the two. The clarion is a graphical EQ. Your knowledge about your stock factory EQ does not apply to actual RTA(real time analyzers) statistics on EQs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.