need advice for my audio system.

Participant count
  • Participant list

celicagtman
10+ year member

la
so my setup that i got 2 weeks ago was a Pioneer Premier TS-W3002D4 12" with is one ohms stable and is a 1000 rms and 3500 rms peak and i got a 1.5 cf ported box which i read is best for for this sub. the amp that i have is a audio pipe 1000 which is powering my sub at 1000 rms at 1 ohms. i also have a really good head unit which is a JVC KW-XG700. the car i have small toyota celica hatchback. the problem i am having is that my system is not as loud as i expected. i mean the sub has decent bass and everything when sitting inside but its not like you can hear from half a mile or something. now i think i might have blown my stock speakers in my celica because the songs are getting distorted when i turn the volume up to 30. i was wondering what i should do. i mean i got the amp at 1000 watts when i was getting a audio pipe 1800 for the same price used because i was told you are gonna mess up your electrical if you dont upgrade the altenator and do the big 3. but what i dont get is most people pay for crappy systems like infinity and stuff like that and their amp is most of the time only 500-700rms. i am not sure how my system is not getting as loud. i checked the amp setting and the bass and everything is all the way up and some songs the bass is lot when sitting inside but out side you cant really hear it that much. i am not sure weather to upgrade the amp or something or mabe get new speakers?any advice would be really helpful guys.

to begin with if your only running one sub and its a dual 4ohm, you can only wire it to a 2ohm or 8ohm load. so if you have the coils in parallel(+ to +,,- to -) then the amp is seeing a 2ohm load,and the amp only does 600w at 2ohm. if by any chance you have the coils wired in series(+ to -,,,+ to -) then its at an 8ohm load and youre probably seeing 2-300w. also is the box custom built to the specs of the sub or is it a prefab ported box. if its a prefab check all the specs on the box and find the tuning and area of the port,since prefab boxes arent made for a specific sub.

look into getting aftermarket componet speakers. don't depend on your subs to provided all the sound. 91C brings a very good point also. I didn't look at the specs of the sub & amp but if what he says is accurate you might not be using your sub to its full potential.

ok if its a D2 then that changes some of my theory. but if its wired wrong youll be at a 4ohm load,and your only going to see around 400w. just double check on Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker . if you are at 1ohm,then look at the gain settings. if you have a DMM(digital multi meter) set your amp gain using a 50Hz -3dB tone. unhook the speaker from the amp and remove any bass boost on the HU and turn it to 3/4 volume(also set all your bass/treble to 0) connect the DMM to the speaker output on the amp and set it AC volts. slowly adjust your gain until the DMM reads 31.5-32 volts. thats 1000w. if its still not loud,then look at the box. grab a tape measure and measure up the box.L x W x H also port W x H and lenght of port and material thickness. hit the box calculator on the12volt.com and find the net volume and port tuning.more than likely the port will be either too small(not enough sq.inches) or the tuning is off,or the box isnt big enough or is too big...

i guess those subs are supposed to be loud, but in my experience they havent been. We sealed one 12 off a 1000rms from a fosgate and it was very unimpressive...i have seen them have some crazy excursion, but overall, i just dont think those subs are good...but, to your situation i think of a few things

1. box specs?

2. impedence issue

3. h/u settings

4. just out of curiousity, what size wire are you running

lastly, dont be concerned about "being heard outside your car"...if it sounds good inside, who cares if the bass doesnt travel? thats less attention, meaning less likely to get a ticket or get jacked

In a hatchback, your subs should be packing plenty of punch for daily. I run a similar setup, and it's enough to rattle your guts (and mirror). Sure, they aren't THE best subs ever, but at their price point, it's tough to find better. They handle rated power, can't be bottomed out (unless you really try), and the SQ in sealed is quite tolerable.

I'd suspect it's either an improper gain setting... sub wiring (series instead of parallel)... or gnarly box tuning. Take 30 minutes with a multimeter and a ruler to find out which it is.

As KR15 said, use subs for your own enjoyment, or else they'll go missing real quickly. 1-12 and 1kw isn't moving enough air for true pavement rattling... but it should be plenty loud enough to the ear.

i am gussing its the gain or the box.the wiring is right. and is there a way to check if the sub is blown without taking it out of the box?i am scared i might have blown them. also my volume is set at 30 at everything is distorted. when 50 is the max that my hu volume can go to which i havnt gone to yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.