Need advice for amp to drive subwoofer and front or rear speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

xxyue188
10+ year member

NIL
Initally, the upgrade was planned and completed by removing all the passive crossover and bring my system to Active. I am using an Alpine HU; therefore, I bought a new Alpine PRA-H400 and get use to the Ai-Net. Done!

Obviously, I need another 4 channel amp after the passive crossover has been taken away. So, I bought a new Focal FPP 4100 amp for my rear OLD MB Quart speakers. Also, I want to keep my Nakamichi PA-304 to drive the pairs of tweeters and midranges at the front in order to produce warm and nice quality of sound after the upgrade.

After the installation complete, OMG! Nightmare comes! The Nakamichi Amp has come to the end of life all at a sudden! I feel very sad about it because I really like the taste of the sound from Nak amp. It is a very old amp and no parts are available for me to fix it!

In order to fix the problem, I temporary use the Focal FPP 4100 amp to drive the front speakers. Use a Kenwood KAC-744 amp to drive the rear speakers. Use a cheap Sony XM-GTX1852 to drive the two JL Sub (I have no choice!).

Current Setting:

HU: Alpine CDA-117

Crossover: Alpine PRA-H400

Front Tweeter & Midrange: A/D/S 320i/s

Rear Tweeter & Midrange: MB Quart QM160KN-S

Subwoofers: Two 10" JL

Amp for Front speakers: Focal FPP 4100

Amp for Rear speakers: Kenwood KAC-744 (temporary)

Amp for Subwoofers: Sony XM-GTX1852 (temporary)

Options as the following:

1. Leave it as is!

2. Buy another USED Nakamichi PA-304 on the web for my front speakers. My question: Is it worth to buy a used Nak amp again? It costs at least $250 - $300 even it's a very old and used?

3. Leave the Focal FPP 4100 to drive my front speakers. Buy another Focal FPP 4100 to drive the rear speakers. Buy a Focal FPP 1000 to drive my subwoofers. That will pair up all my amps in Focal. Don't know whether it is a good idea!

4. Bid a MCINTOSH MCC amp from the web. Use it for the front speakers. Move the Focal for the rear speakers. Bridge the Kenwood KAC-744 into TWO channel to drive the pair of sub.

Except option 1, I need to drop money anyway. Would you please suggest me a 4-channel amp and a 2-channel amp in my case that will match my equipment?

Honestly, I want to have an amp that can retrieve warm and smooth sound from my front speakers. Also, I don't like loud and booming sound from my sub and I prefer smooth bass.

Thank you so much!

if you like the focal amp on the front stage,then i would say use another focal 4 channel on rear and subs.

if money was no object i would get a nice 6 channel for all mid range and tweets and a separate sub amp...say maybe a jl500.1 or whatever you like for subs

if you like the focal amp on the front stage,then i would say use another focal 4 channel on rear and subs.if money was no object i would get a nice 6 channel for all mid range and tweets and a separate sub amp...say maybe a jl500.1 or whatever you like for subs
4 channels for Rear and Sub won't work because Rear speakers contain 2 tweeters and 2 mid range; I have 2 JL sub. So, it will require 6 channels since I run active.

So, you suggest me to pick option 3 or buy a replacement sub amp like JL500.1. I have seen many people choose this for sub amp. Is this better than FPP1000?

Also, still not solve the problem on Front stage because my nak amp has blown and I may need a replacement 4 channels amp that would similiar to nak.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.