need a headunit , should i goto circuitcity + bestbuy

Twistid
5,000+ posts

ok i need a headunit in my car, i was thinking of goin to circuit city and getting this

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=111096

Jensen In-Dash CD Player (MP5720)

JSN MP5720XMC • 50 watts x 4

• CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 playback

• One pre-amp output • Detachable faceplate

• Terk XMDirect™-compatible

• Auxiliary input

its $105 and it comes with free installation , then the wiring harness is 16 bucks so it comes out to 121 installed, is this a good deal?

i would rather not install it myself cus i might mess something up and frankly i have no idea how to get the old radio out ... iv never done that before , its a 98 subaru outback... so should i just stick to getting it installed professionally and for free or would it be better to get a better product somewhere else for the same price and install it myself ?? thx

Not when you can get a Pioneer 3700MP for a few bucks more..

or BestBuys Alpine 9843

like the poster above..

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

im not spending over 110 on the cd player itself since i have other things i need to buy.... also best buy dosent offer the free installation so i would like to stick to circuit city
free installation isnt all its cracked up to be. you do pay an inflated price for the install parts but they are already inflated to begin with and they wont use other places parts (at least around here)

check out good guys they carry some quality stuff.

Free Install = the ****.

Good Guys tried so hard to do an install for me. But I refused.

I had to order a new Front bezel to replace the stock sterio (It's integrated into my titan) and a Metal kit (not the cheapo ebay combo ones that look like ass and don't fit right)

I also then ended up having to dermel out the sides of the Trim Piece on the Metra kit so the arms on the Eclipse HU would allow it to open all the way, and I then Had a VERY difficult time locating a place for my PAC Swix LED for my steering wheel controlls, not to mentionthe added cost it would have been to have them install and solder all the wires n such.

Bottem line is I would have NO PAC, and a much crappier install that would look like ass. Plus I would have paid more for the wiring harness Bezel and Metra kit than the install was even worth. I'm sure by the end of everything it would have cost me well over $200 for parts and would not be done very well.

Hell I spent well over 5 hours working with the PAC to get it to work correctly, I dount they would have done the same! + I never heard of an audio shop using a dremel on anything to make it fit, or even soldering for that matter.

As for $100, thats almsot what it is going to take to fill up the Gas tank on my Titan tomarrow, what kind of quality do you expect to get from a HU that costs a little more than a tank of gas.

Now for 2x that much and an Alpine or Pioneer of last year and your talking a HUGE improvement. Install that **** yourself it is easier than you think if you buy a wiring harness! The Harness should be no more than $5 online!

Hell I had to order double din Bezel for $45, Metra Mounting Hardware ($15 or so) and wiring harness $5-6. The shop quoted me $100 for the Ebay Bezel and harness, which goes for about $30 online. And something like $150 to install the PAC, which would have ended up costing me WAY more! In fact I'd probably end up just paying them and not having it installed at all since I had so many problems!

i do a did use dremels at best buy when i worked there. one of the main thing i didnt like about working there is time. either do it right or dont do it at all. you are right in a sense about how your install might end up but 1/2 the time it ends up that way is when the shop is trying to do 4 cars in 30 min. i can also do a pac remote in about 30-45 min lol

Hell I spent well over 5 hours working with the PAC to get it to work correctly, I dount they would have done the same! + I never heard of an audio shop using a dremel on anything to make it fit, or even soldering for that matter.
I'm a Car Audio Installer for Circuit City. First of all, we wouldn't have ****ed with that Titan dash - since we can order a custom kit that looks perfect and replaces the factory trim. If we did have to cut, I guarantee you we wouldn't use a dremel. You know why? It's inaccurate and it wields shitty work. It's fine for the initial cutting but if you're trying to get things just right I hope to god you're not using that.

Secondly, we solder and tape every single connection - its required. I've cut many a dash in my time (and so have my co-workers) and every single one has come out completely flawless.

I will admit though.. some of the CC locations **** ass.

But anyway, to the original poster... DO NOT BUY A JENSEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're such trash. First of all, CC no longer carries the Jensen smartharnesses, so you'll have to buy the Metra harness for the car, and then pay 21.99 for the hardwire to wire the radio harness to the Metra harness.

The Pioneer 3700 is a much better stereo, and will be lest costly to you. CC carries the Pioneer smartharnesses so there won't be a hardwire fee. For both harnesses you're looking at 21.99 and then probably another 22 bucks or so for the dash kit (unless your car doesn't require one). Also, CC charges a 3.99 shop fee for supplies like electrical tape and what not. You're not getting off that easy!

I work in CC Roadshop Sales, actually at work right now.

I'd suggest the Panasonic 1301u, it has all the features of the Pio 3700MP...and is $10 less. And, the display is higher resolution...and backlit so it's easier to read.

You'll be looking at 183.95 + tax installed. This is IF you need a dash kit for your vehicle...if not it's $165.96+ tax. The pioneer will be $10 more on both points.

NG

lol dont forget about advantage
Lol, on that unit it's not too bad. $15 for two years, which IMO is worth it. Covers all repairs...you get a free CD visor holder and ****. Other units...like the Pioneer...just went up in price...it's about 1.5 times as much for City Advantage on pioneers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.