need 12v ingnition source

tip-c
10+ year member

montreal
Hello,

i have a mazda 3 and i need to find a 12 V wire that only has current when the ignition is ON. i need something easy to locate, ( without taking the dashboard apart to get the radio out, thats the only place i know there that kind of wire. i need help from some one to help me locate one els where in the car, or the same wire that goes to the radio but at an easier access point so i can just tap in to that current with another wire

Thank You

i really need this! HELP

you prolly have spare accesory connections in you fuse box that would suit your needs.

How would i know wich one it is? and where do connect something in the fuse box??

Need a little more help!

What i need to do is just hard wire my sirius receiver to the car. to free up the cigarette lighter.

please help me out, ive been tring to find somnewhere to wire it in the car but i got no luck!

Thx

i've always just cut ring terminals so they would force into the left side of where a fuse would go, then run a fused wire for the positive line for what i'm trying to power. (**** it's hard to explain in typing)

i've always just cut ring terminals so they would force into the left side of where a fuse would go, then run a fused wire for the positive line for what i'm trying to power. (**** it's hard to explain in typing)

Im not shure i understand. can u please explain?

Thank You

I think what he is saying is to take a ring terminar and cut it basically in half then locate an empty fuse slot that has swithched power and insert the ring terminal there. Another way is if you go to an auto parts store you can pick up fuse taps (they will know what you need). with this you can just tap off you radio fuse. thatsa prob.the easiest way. the last thing which i would say is the correct way would be to locate the main ign. harness in the dash and tap into the main acc. wire. which on that car should be pink with a yellow trace.

JUST REMEMBER NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO FOR POWER TEST THE LINE FIRST. AND ALWAYS ADD A FUSE!!!!!!!

Hello,
i have a mazda 3 and i need to find a 12 V wire that only has current when the ignition is ON. i need something easy to locate, ( without taking the dashboard apart to get the radio out, thats the only place i know there that kind of wire. i need help from some one to help me locate one els where in the car, or the same wire that goes to the radio but at an easier access point so i can just tap in to that current with another wire

Thank You

i really need this! HELP
What are u tryin to power?And does it need to have power while the iginition switch is in that the start postion as well(U might need this if u are tryin to wire on sum ingntion for the motor) If not just get a test light and put it in a fuse terminal and turn ur key on if it comes on turn the key off and see if they light goes off,That is the one u want,If u also need power in the startin postion do the same thing if there isnt one I usaully tap in the fuel pump relay

I think what he is saying is to take a ring terminar and cut it basically in half then locate an empty fuse slot that has swithched power and insert the ring terminal there. Another way is if you go to an auto parts store you can pick up fuse taps (they will know what you need). with this you can just tap off you radio fuse. thatsa prob.the easiest way. the last thing which i would say is the correct way would be to locate the main ign. harness in the dash and tap into the main acc. wire. which on that car should be pink with a yellow trace.
JUST REMEMBER NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO FOR POWER TEST THE LINE FIRST. AND ALWAYS ADD A FUSE!!!!!!!

Where is the " Main Ignition Harness " in a mazda 3??

BTW Thank you for all that info....Very helpful. just need one last awnser!!

LOL

The main ign. harness is found going to the key cylinder. Sometimes requires removing the knee bolster(part under dash above where your knees would be just below steering wheel) or sometime you can get lucky andjust lay under the dash and see it. if you can just trace it back to where you can easily acess it and tap in. the wires in the ignition harness for power,ground, acc,and starter are usually a lot thicker prob. 10-12 guage. but in newer cars can be a lot thinner and are used to drive relays. sorry not sure off top of my head in the mazda 3. The only caution i give if using these wires is to remember to test very carefully and dont use anything in yellow tape or in a yellow casing. well unless you wanna see how your airbag works:)

But to be honest for a sirius unit which has very little current draw using a fuse tap on the radio circuit should work perfectly 4 you. the only reason i didnt mention an add a fuse is i have never seen one for the mini fusses which your car posesses.

any more questions just shoot me an e-mail chris00100@excite.com

The main ign. harness is found going to the key cylinder. Sometimes requires removing the knee bolster(part under dash above where your knees would be just below steering wheel) or sometime you can get lucky andjust lay under the dash and see it. if you can just trace it back to where you can easily acess it and tap in. the wires in the ignition harness for power,ground, acc,and starter are usually a lot thicker prob. 10-12 guage. but in newer cars can be a lot thinner and are used to drive relays. sorry not sure off top of my head in the mazda 3. The only caution i give if using these wires is to remember to test very carefully and dont use anything in yellow tape or in a yellow casing. well unless you wanna see how your airbag works:)
But to be honest for a sirius unit which has very little current draw using a fuse tap on the radio circuit should work perfectly 4 you. the only reason i didnt mention an add a fuse is i have never seen one for the mini fusses which your car posesses.

any more questions just shoot me an e-mail chris00100@excite.com
Does any body have any idea where the radio circuit or the main ign harness would be for a mazda 3?

Thanks Chris, very help full! but would help if some one could give me precise direction for a mazda 3!

Thank you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.