Nasty FI BTL sound?

*SlappinAzz*

Shoot em
Virginia
My friend and I just finished building a box for his BTL 18 inch, he got it used from somebody for 300$, the guy said he used it on 1200 watt amp for 4 months. Anyways, we put the beast in there, and it is slamming the car like a mofo, but we open the trunk only to hear this nasty popping sound.

What is this, coil rub? Clipping?

His rca's are shitty, he getting some new ones, but still, would they cause that nasty sound? Its being powered by an Aq2200.

how did the coil look before you put it in? may have been clipped by the previous owner
Coil looked fresh as ****, and you could even smell the fresh glue warmin up. However, the sub cone became a little toasty after 4 minutes of bumping.

what amp you running on it? what size box and tunning..
He is using an Audioque 2200, We built the box to about 4.8 cubic feet Volume, tuned at 32 hz.

Also, we noticed before putting the sub in, if you tapped on the cone, it made this weird springy sound?

If the sub is firing rear at the trunk then when you open the trunk you are effectively removing the only thing it has to load off of. This could cause it to unload and/or make a popping noise if you reach the mechanical limits while unloading it. I used to notice this when I had my DC Level 3 and did that.

You could always get in the trunk with it and wang on it and see if it does it with the trunk closed as well. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

If the sub is firing rear at the trunk then when you open the trunk you are effectively removing the only thing it has to load off of. This could cause it to unload and/or make a popping noise if you reach the mechanical limits while unloading it.
Its upfiring at the top of his trunk, its not hitting anything, and I was positive your not gonna hit any mechanical limits since you need at least 2000 watts to get a btl loud.

Could just be the sub bottoming out from opening the trunk and playing full tilt cuz no back pressure. Sub can be unloading. My btl used to do that too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.