nakamichi pa1004 amp set up

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a Nakamichi PA1004 4 channel car amp. I have brought it out from the attic, I have no owners manual, (bought it used). I bought a new infinity 475 watt amp and am not all that happy with the sound. I want to hook the nakamichi back up and I cannot figure out how to configure the front and back channels to play in full range mode. I ether get high pass or low pass option on each channel. There is a switch on the amp I am not sure what its true function is? It is marked "Line Selector", and underneath it the options are Lo Pass, Off, CH 1+2. Does any one know how I can set this amp to play all channels in full range mode? Or where I can get a manual for the unit? I would appreciate any help. I hooked up this unit and I like the type of smooth, airy, powerful sound over my infinity amp.But thats just my opinion of coarse. I just cant get the channels set up right yet.

I really like this amp, I have been through the ringer wasting money on amps, and have installed quite a few latly, and I really dont like the sound of any of them. I bought a used amp on ebay paid around 200$ for a 15 year old amp, plugged it in, the amp was running very hot just being on for 5 min.and all 4 channels were working, but could get no bass from the unit at all,and the amp configuration cards were set up right and I never turned it up over 1/3 volume. I wrote back to the guy he said this amp always ran hot. I have installed over 20 of these amps, they never ran hot unless you run them hard and long, and this one is only pushing 6 1/2" woofers. So I figured I am screwed wont work with me, I decided to turn it up and that was it, back channels gone. Took it to a shop and they said it looked like the guy ran to low of ohms and gound faulted one of the amp (I am not sure what he called it) componants so it was causing a low amperage short. The unit is rated at 2 ohms and my set up meters in at 3.9 ohms. So for now I have my infinity amp in. So I want to keep this nakamichi, I paid around 300$ for it used years ago. I was looking at the PA2004 that was on Ebay for 300$ which is a really awsum amp, but I currently dont have the budget. I have to save to get the other amp fixed some day. May I ask what you are proposing? Why are you intrested so much in this model unit? I am a big audio nut and love a certain kind of sound, and it looks like its getting harder to achieve that type of sound. So I am just looking for some info or a manual on how to configure the channels, I think I have an idea but at 90 degree temps and high humidity and working 6 days a week and car problems, time has not been on my side.

I was going to offer you some nice, high quality, old school stuff.

....I guess you don't even want to hear my proposal. Oh well, you're loss. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I really like this amp, I have been through the ringer wasting money on amps, and have installed quite a few latly, and I really dont like the sound of any of them. I bought a used amp on ebay paid around 200$ for a 15 year old amp, plugged it in, the amp was running very hot just being on for 5 min.and all 4 channels were working, but could get no bass from the unit at all,and the amp configuration cards were set up right and I never turned it up over 1/3 volume. I wrote back to the guy he said this amp always ran hot. I have installed over 20 of these amps, they never ran hot unless you run them hard and long, and this one is only pushing 6 1/2" woofers. So I figured I am screwed wont work with me, I decided to turn it up and that was it, back channels gone. Took it to a shop and they said it looked like the guy ran to low of ohms and gound faulted one of the amp (I am not sure what he called it) componants so it was causing a low amperage short. The unit is rated at 2 ohms and my set up meters in at 3.9 ohms. So for now I have my infinity amp in. So I want to keep this nakamichi, I paid around 300$ for it used years ago. I was looking at the PA2004 that was on Ebay for 300$ which is a really awsum amp, but I currently dont have the budget. I have to save to get the other amp fixed some day. May I ask what you are proposing? Why are you intrested so much in this model unit? I am a big audio nut and love a certain kind of sound, and it looks like its getting harder to achieve that type of sound. So I am just looking for some info or a manual on how to configure the channels, I think I have an idea but at 90 degree temps and high humidity and working 6 days a week and car problems, time has not been on my side.
Sorry to hear bout your troubles with the amp you purchased. He's interested because he really likes these amps. And you should see what he was going to offer you. I dont think he would trade you any crap equip. This is a good guy here. Ask him and you might jus be interested in his offer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.