n00b to fiberglass! i need sum help.

Participant count
  • Participant list

IbSlamn
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alabama
Ok im doing a fiberglassed sealed box for two 12s. this is gunna be my first fiberglass build. im gonna have the bottom, back, and the sides mdf. the sides are gunna be rounded like if you was to cut a circle into four pieces they would look like one of those piece. the top and front are gunna be glassed. ok so im gunna have my two sub rings help up with strips of mdf. then im gunna sand the edges and stretch fleece and staple it all around and to the rings. then when i put the coat of resin with hardener on the fleece how long do i need to wait until i do teh first layers of glass?

My first time doing glass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

rsx011.jpg

rsx009.jpg

WOW! :eek: great job

can you answer my question plz i need kno cause im startn first thing sat. morning

allow the resin to harden on the fleece. do this twice.

then you can start laying glass.

make sure your fleece is hella tight. if it's not it's going to sag.

k thanks. how long does it take to harden? and do i start stapling fleece on sub rings and work my way around or where?

Make sure your fleece soaks up a ton of resin. Then let it dry 12 hours or so. Then do around 3 layers of 1.5 ounce fiberglass mat. It will do for mid grade woofers. If running more than 500rms to each woofer, than i would do 6 layers or more. Make sure you let it dry between layers! Oh and make sure you poke the air bubbles out of the fiberglass mat when covering them with resin! Good luck man. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

um, you shouldn't need to even staple the fleece to the rings. the only thing you need to staple the fleece to is the side walls that are MDF. your ring should be held in place with dowels. then you get it all fiberglassed you then remove the inner fleece circle then remove the dowels if you want.

as for the hardening stage it depends on how much activater you use and the temperature.

go to fiberglassforums.com and do a little research there. there is a lot of info on that forum. you can also click on my image in sig. io have a fiberglassing project that shows all i did when i did mine

k thanks. how long does it take to harden? and do i start stapling fleece on sub rings and work my way around or where?
I always use a router and 1/4" rabbiting bit to go around the woofer rings, Makes a great notch to staple the fleece to the woofer ring. If the fleece is not hooked to the woofer ring tight, You will have a big problem with woofer support! Aka your woofer mounting ring will seperate from the glass and fall in the enclosure over time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

thanks everybody //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ABSOLUTEAUDIO,

This might be a dumb question but why do you prefer to use mat ?

Is it because strength isn't much of a concern ?

I've worked with glass in marine applications and always referred to work with woven cloth. Something like E-glass lays up quite nice and wets out smooth with minimal finish work and minimum amount of resin.

http://www.uscomposites.com/cloth.html I love the Twill.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.