my tweeters on C2 components keep clipping out

ikillzombienuns
10+ year member

NH
just installed Alpine PDX4.100 running channels 1/2 to fronts and 3/4 bridged for 200w rms to 2 alpine type-s 10's the subs dont clip out and on the way home one of my tweeters shut off and after 20-30 came on and off again. the amp connections r perfect amps not clipping out itself and the wire polarity is correct. you think maybe its my ipod headphone jack or maybe loose tweeter connection sounds alittle distorted before it cut out and the right one kept playing fine during this. any help would be great

Can we get more info on your system and install? Who and how were the gains set? Are your speakers coax or components? Using factory wiring or has it been bypassed? Have you tried removing stuff or swapping out another speaker to see if it does it also in an attempt to pin point the problem? Are you just over powering the speaker? Which is odd as no coax I have seen has tweeter protection and only a hand full of components do. And the protection they use does not turn off the tweeter as it is more a current absorption protection not an on off like a amp.

I figured the problem out. My gain on my PDX amp was only set to 1/2 the crossover set to 62 cuz of the 12db slope. and the speaker wire isn't stock its all upgraded with monster cable 12awg. The tweeters were clipping from being pushed to hard even though on my deck the highs are turned down low. Jl's tend to shut off for 10-20 seconds when they are overloaded. which i really feel for their price they aren't as load as i would like. The tweeter was set in the middle on crossover which is jl's ref point. i lower that down to the lowest setting -3db. And they haven't clipped out again yet and they tweeter isn't as in your face and loud. they are a good souning speaker for the price but these tweeters honestly disapoint me. I think i'm going to switch them out for a pair of boston acoustics. thanks for all your input in trying to help me it is much appreciated. And my views on Jl Audio subs and amps haven't changed just won't buy these C2 compents again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.