My Sundown SFB experience

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
So, a while back I bought an sfb 8k and just got to using it a couple months ago and barely at that. I have it hooked up to a zv5 15 dual 2 wire to 1 ohm 320amp brand X, grip 31 agm main northstar 220 2nd battery AND a limitless cyber 6k. 2 runs ofc 1/0, big 3, electric was very stable.
For some reason the amp kept going into protect...cycled it and it would work again until it didnt...
So I got an rma from sundown shipped the amp out to them and just got an email (no name just generic sundown email) that the amp bench tested fine and I would have to pay them $50 to ship it back.... so not only am I getting my amp the doesn't work properly I'm out $50... where is this awesome sundown warranty and customer service I've always heard about?
So, if you were Sundown, what would you do? I understand that they are big enough that they should just send you a new one and call it the day.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, if you were Sundown, what would you do? I understand that they are big enough that they should just send you a new one and call it the day.
Well I asked them what the test entailed and I went into more detail about my experience with it and I'm awaiting a reply.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
Well I asked them what the test entailed and I went into more detail about my experience with it and I'm awaiting a reply.
They should just send you a new one and call it the day. I watched a guy blow up an SFB5k because he screwed up the install. He drove down to Down 4 Sound and had a new one in 15 minutes. It was totally his fault that the amp blew. I watched another guy blow up an Ampere 4K (installers fault) and he drove it right down to Down 4 Sound and had a new one in 15 minutes as well. No questions asked.

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
Because you work for sundown? I forgot I why I dont respond to you you're an idiot
I don't work for sundown, but i do have a sense of logic. If the amp works on a bench, the amp is not broken. I guess me and sundown techs are all idiots. Good luck fixing your problem when everyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot.

Reactions: hispls

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
They should just send you a new one and call it the day. I watched a guy blow up an SFB5k because he screwed up the install. He drove down to Down 4 Sound and had a new one in 15 minutes. It was totally his fault that the amp blew. I watched another guy blow up an Ampere 4K (installers fault) and he drove it right down to Down 4 Sound and had a new one in 15 minutes as well. No questions asked.
What if they send him a new one and it also breaks because he hasn't corrected the actual cause? Should he get new amps weekly and indefinitely?
Someone has to pay for the amp. Should it be the person who broke it or future customers? I personally don't want to pay more for products to cover others' mistakes. There needs to be some personal accountability.

Edit: double quoted @Bobbytwonames .

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
What if they send him a new one and it also breaks because he hasn't corrected the actual cause? Should he get new amps weekly and indefinitely?
Someone has to pay for the amp. Should it be the person who broke it or future customers? I personally don't want to pay more for products to cover others' mistakes. There needs to be some personal accountability.

Edit: double quoted @Bobbytwonames .
Sundown should preface it by saying, "this is a one time replacement". Thank you for your business.

Cynic0l

CarAudio.com Regular
Jun 28, 2019
Yikes, I have a SFB 8K going in for my Zv5 12 as we speak. Hopefully the same doesn’t happen to me lol I’d lose my shit. Hope everything turns out good for ya

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
They both took it to Down4Sound and the shop gave them a new one.
The shop owner then sends it back to Soundown and gets reimbursed for it.
Because he is an authorized dealer/installer there is a level of trust there.
If you bring the company in a lot of money they will do what they can to make you happy.
The shop I deal with stopped carrying DD because they full on fought every single warranty claim that was sent in.
In Fact they still have one of my amps that they didn't fix or return even though it was an obvious manufacturers defect.
One of the power rails came loose and fell over onto the one next to it.
BUt still they refuse to admit it was a screw up.
It wasn't even one of the better amps, it was an M 80.
My point is it could be worse.
I still love my DD but don't think I would buy anything else off of them again
I have enough already anyway

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
Long story short, the amp did malfunction when someone I'm not gonna say who at sundown tested it, new one should be here any day.

Point of post is if a company tries to shew you away from a warranty issues don't tuck your tail and be a simp ask questions, see if someone will troubleshoot with you, explain your issues in greater detail etc. etc.

And when I say company it may be one person that's causing a roadblock for no reason other then just not wanting to exert any energy.

Bass911

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Sep 13, 2007
Dallas,TX
I see people having problems with these amps and there is no way that I'm about to believe Sundown has a perfect testing procedure. Most people know what electrical is required for these type of amps. Why spend your money just to starve the amp so it can blow up on you? It can't be user error every time. Taramps have similar reviews about there amps going into protect. I'm sure this guy has a clue if he spent money on a Cyber 6k. I was going to get a sfb, but the reviews have me on the fence.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
I see people having problems with these amps and there is no way that I'm about to believe Sundown has a perfect testing procedure. Most people know what electrical is required for these type of amps. Why spend your money just to starve the amp so it can blow up on you? It can't be user error every time. Taramps have similar reviews about there amps going into protect. I'm sure this guy has a clue if he spent money on a Cyber 6k. I was going to get a sfb, but the reviews have me on the fence.
Part of sundowns at least certain employees of sundown not necessarily Jacob's excuse for there being so much talk about bad sfb amps is because they have sold wayyyyy more then any other amp line they have. A reputable sundown employee I was dealing with throughout this rma told me they sold more sfb 1,000-2,000 then all their other amp lines combined. That's saz,scv,sae,sax all combined total sales...so he said the percentage of failure rate is "expected"

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Yep. Was the same with Taramps. They sold so many of them since they were so cheap and these idiots tried to run 8ks on stock electrical and at .5 ohm. They started popping and the blame was "Taramps amps blow up and catch fire for no reason"

Bass911

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Sep 13, 2007
Dallas,TX
Part of sundowns at least certain employees of sundown not necessarily Jacob's excuse for there being so much talk about bad sfb amps is because they have sold wayyyyy more then any other amp line they have. A reputable sundown employee I was dealing with throughout this rma told me they sold more sfb 1,000-2,000 then all their other amp lines combined. That's saz,scv,sae,sax all combined total sales...so he said the percentage of failure rate is "expected"
I don't really consider it "bad talk", it is just a truth that some people can't deal with. If someone had the full bridge fail and went back to Korean and it worked, who is to blame now? I understand that there will be a failure rate, and could care less about how many they sold. Ford sells a lot cars, but that doesn't make me want one. Taramps set themselves up for failure by using tiny power terminals, but knowledgeable guys were beefing up the power wire and some of them still failed. I'm not saying the sfb line is bad, but when you see a few reviews state the same thing maybe they aren't perfect as you want them to be?

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Yep. Was the same with Taramps. They sold so many of them since they were so cheap and these idiots tried to run 8ks on stock electrical and at .5 ohm. They started popping and the blame was "Taramps amps blow up and catch fire for no reason"
Not really the same thing here. There's ALWAYS idiots trying to run huge amps with insufficient electrical, there's at least 2 threads a week of some mong trying to do so here alone and here is where people should know better.

And the Brazilian amps are rather poor build quality and I believe their circuit designs are only now really starting to iron out the bugs. 10 years ago NOBODY who designed or repaired amps would touch Brazilian because they were just time bombs. Shit, even China wouldn't bother trying to copy them up until this past year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds