my ssa zcon is done

Yeah I bought it new back in May of 2014.
Voice your concerns to ssa. I can only give you some advice. I can say this I feel ssa has very fair pricing on thier products and I know they are decent people.

Good luck and when you want some more technical advice as for as alignment and installation I'll be glad to help you.

Voice your concerns to ssa. I can only give you some advice. I can say this I feel ssa has very fair pricing on thier products and I know they are decent people. Good luck and when you want some more technical advice as for as alignment and installation I'll be glad to help you.
Thanks so much, ill keep everyone informed.

@papermaker

The first enclosure, 3 cubes @ 30hz was sub and port firing into cabin. Then when I got the 2.5 cube box @ 32hz I decided to do sub and port firing towards the rear probably about 5 inches or so from the trunk. I read that trunks do well this way so I figured that was the best orientation. I feel like the zcon was begging for more power but I wasn't comfortable pushing the amp any harder in fear of clipping. I remember when I got the 2.5 cubed box here fairly recently it was like holy crap I should of did it a long time ago. I had to back the gain down a little on the amp and turn the subwoofer level on the 80prs down actually into the negative cause it was that much louder.

Maybe I have just gotten use to the sound or holding my expectations too high, which I dont really think so. Its just never had that wow factor to it and everyone thats heard it just didnt seem impressed and that pushed me to pulling the system. Kinda like the extra weight in my lil civic coupe had too much taxation without representation if you know what I mean. I felt like it should of been an attention grabber for sure but that was not the case which lead me to believe something wasnt right.

How would my surrounds condition affect its playing capabilities? I really believe somethings not right and its affecting this subs abilities to be a head turner. I was considering doubling my power and making this zcon sing instead of burp if ya know what I mean. Then I might actually be able to post up a burnt coil picture instead of a perfectly normal one :p

How stable is your voltage? at the least you need a 200 amp alternator and a solid battery.. how did you set your gains? How did you set the crossovers? The sundown is about 3kw clean at 14 volts. That should be enough to get the xcon moving good. I definitely wouldn't double the power. 3500 daily is the max I'd put to it. I'm sure if there is a issue it can be fixed.

The surround should just keep the driver sealed and be linear in movement. If it's doing both it should be a problem

How stable is your voltage? at the least you need a 200 amp alternator and a solid battery.. how did you set your gains? How did you set the crossovers? The sundown is about 3kw clean at 14 volts. That should be enough to get the xcon moving good. I definitely wouldn't double the power. 3500 daily is the max I'd put to it. I'm sure if there is a issue it can be fixed.
I'm running a singer alternator Tested 289 amps after heat/ 184 amp @ idle, xs power 5100 up front and 3400 in rear, big 3 and positive run all in 0 gauge. I set the gains by ear, with the 3 cubed box they were about half way running the volume on 40 and I wouldn't go past that number. With the 2.5 cubed box they came down to about %25 but I started running my volume up to 60 when I learned the 80prs was clean up that high. I was under the impression that using more clean volume from the source or 80prs was better. I was using the 80prs lpf set at 80hz sometimes lower if the song playing was peaking too high. I left the lpf on the amp all the way open but have also dialed it back some to see if it made much of a difference running two low pass filters. I found running both did cut the higher frequencys some but not to the point of it mattering much I felt like. Subsonic was set to about %20 and anything more really started to cut my lower frequencies drastically. I feel like the zcon was happy in the mid 40's to about the mid 50's and became peaky after 60hz in its current 2.5 cubed enclosure. The 3 cubed enclosure had very similar results but didnt have anywhere near the output I have now. It really lacks below 40hz except for a handful of songs and she just wouldn't pick up the bass in my occasional rock and country listening. Some country songs were ok but I really felt like it was on a roller coaster of being happy.

I see.. whats the details on the 2.5 cubed box?
16" of port area per cubic foot, and if i recall correctly its the same height and width as the 3 cubed box just not as deep.

This is the 3 cubic foot box

This is the 2.5 cubic foot box

So they just lacked the lowend you wanted?
Yeah she will play the low but no output what so ever, I wanted to go to 3.25 @ like 33hz but ccstang felt the 2.5 @ 32 was right for me but guess its hard to build a box for someone and not knowing what there looking for. The 3 cubed box did dig a lil lower but still lacked the output. I know low and loud takes good electrical and lots of power, that's why I was thinking of getting a bigger amp. But while things were out of the car and I wanted to inspect everything and discovered that uggly surrround and revealed the truth of why there was always a soft spot in it. This zcon never seemed to move much in either enclosure, ive zeen the zcon straight bouncing in some youtube vids.

My first system was a 15" FI SSD fully upgraded and in 4 cubes at 33hz and that thing put a smile on my face running it off a 1100w memphis amp if that helps at all!

Yeah she will play the low but no output what so ever, I wanted to go to 3.25 @ like 33hz but ccstang felt the 2.5 @ 32 was right for me but guess its hard to build a box for someone and not knowing what there looking for. The 3 cubed box did dig a lil lower but still lacked the output. I know low and loud takes good electrical and lots of power, that's why I was thinking of getting a bigger amp. But while things were out of the car and I wanted to inspect everything and discovered that uggly surrround and revealed the truth of why there was always a soft spot in it. This zcon never seemed to move much in either enclosure, ive zeen the zcon straight bouncing in some youtube vids.
My first system was a 15" FI SSD fully upgraded and in 4 cubes at 33hz and that thing put a smile on my face running it off a 1100w memphis amp if that helps at all!
Would you be willing to let me put a system together for ya? I'll tell you what to get and help you on a box design. I know I can help you out! I've been through the same thing which lead me to building woofers.. lol

I also hate how much my current setup weighs, im in a 2013 civic si coupe and like to whip around and you feel that **** back there. I dont have much more room than maybe just over 3 cubes unless i build in trunk and dont want to do that, that 3 cubed box was a tight fit.

Here is my empty trunk, got a good amount of deadner down on the floor but still got a little work to do to make it a good install. Honestly, I would love to try something different cause this zcon just hasn't been doing it and obviously its in need of some tlc. I been without bass for about a month and im bout to go crazy.

A zcon and 3 cube box doesn't weigh much. The weight of your whole system is probably equivalent to having an extra person in the car at all times. When it's just you driving, it would be like the car is just carrying two people. I doubt your system is over 250 pounds.

I had over 2,000 pounds in just batteries with my last Silverado build. After addding suspension upgrades, it didn't drive much different. I had everythng tightly secured, so I could still "whip it"

Secure your box/amp down tight.

The cracks in the surround aren't good. However, I've sen a lot of voice coils with black adhesive from the factory.

Other than the surround having excess glue that caused cracking, I see no manufacturer defects here and I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is.

Whats up with the red/black coils? I know I clip on certain songs but my box is crap so im only giving my icon 300rms after rise. Clipping 300rms will not burn that 1250rms rated coil.

So yea, I got kinda scared when I first looked at it when I pulled it awhile back. No issues in how it plays or thr like. Anyone else got a SSA sub around and wants to see if they have redish coils?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.