My review on the Image Dynamics CTX65CS

I never got a chance to run active with them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I never even got a chance to install them before I traded the car.
They're just sitting here still BNIB, aside from some testing I did in my room just so I could get an idea of how low they played, how much power they liked, and overall sound.
You ever going to upgrade your system? You were the one who talked me into the Pioneer TS-D1720 comps and I have an 09 Camry SE and would like to see how you set your car up since you seem to be pretty good with SQ/SQL budget builds in your old scion. I can't ever find where anyone else has really done a quality install on a camry to get some good ideas.

You ever going to upgrade your system? You were the one who talked me into the Pioneer TS-D1720 comps and I have an 09 Camry SE and would like to see how you set your car up since you seem to be pretty good with SQ/SQL budget builds in your old scion. I can't ever find where anyone else has really done a quality install on a camry to get some good ideas.
Very true, I haven't seen any good Camry builds online either.

If I do upgrade mine, it'll be a while from now more than likely. At this point, the JBL system suits me well enough that I don't feel obligated to change it.

But, I do have a lot of ideas for it that I can share if you like. Especially with the doors supposedly being able to fit 6x9s as well as 6x9s in the rear deck, dash speakers, AND a center channel! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif I could really have fun with this thing. (thats what she said)

Very true, I haven't seen any good Camry builds online either.
If I do upgrade mine, it'll be a while from now more than likely. At this point, the JBL system suits me well enough that I don't feel obligated to change it.

But, I do have a lot of ideas for it that I can share if you like. Especially with the doors supposedly being able to fit 6x9s as well as 6x9s in the rear deck, dash speakers, AND a center channel! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif I could really have fun with this thing. (thats what she said)
I didn't get the JBL system. I never get a car with a factory system, never worth it to me. Would rather do it myself.

The doors are and rear deck are 6x9's with 3.5" speakers in the dash. But they are all unbelievably difficult. The doors are very shallow so you have to make spacers which then rub the door panel becuase of little clearance. I bought a set of Hertz ECX69's and couldn't get them to fit without cutting the doors. I tried the rear lid and if you look there is a thin metal bar that runs across the top that ends up only giving you about 2" of mounting depth, and again, little clearance from the deck lid cover above. Tried a set of Kenwood Excelons in there also and still couldn't fit. I was able to get a set of Hertz HCX6.5's in the front doors with a bracket but barely. That is why I am trying to trade both sets of the Hertz now. No need for them with this car.

And the dash speakers are a pain in the *** as well. They mounted them so close to the base of the windshield that its almost impossible to do anything in there. The potential is there, but requires way more skill, time, money and patience than I currently possess.

I actually bought 2 sets of the pioneers and to begin with will run them passive with either both sets fiberglassed in the front doors, or 1 set in the front and 1 in the rear doors. I want to try my hand at glassing. Then later when I upgrade amps try running them active and playing around.

I didn't get the JBL system. I never get a car with a factory system, never worth it to me. Would rather do it myself.
The doors are and rear deck are 6x9's with 3.5" speakers in the dash. But they are all unbelievably difficult. The doors are very shallow so you have to make spacers which then rub the door panel becuase of little clearance. I bought a set of Hertz ECX69's and couldn't get them to fit without cutting the doors. I tried the rear lid and if you look there is a thin metal bar that runs across the top that ends up only giving you about 2" of mounting depth, and again, little clearance from the deck lid cover above. Tried a set of Kenwood Excelons in there also and still couldn't fit. I was able to get a set of Hertz HCX6.5's in the front doors with a bracket but barely. That is why I am trying to trade both sets of the Hertz now. No need for them with this car.

And the dash speakers are a pain in the *** as well. They mounted them so close to the base of the windshield that its almost impossible to do anything in there. The potential is there, but requires way more skill, time, money and patience than I currently possess.

I actually bought 2 sets of the pioneers and to begin with will run them passive with either both sets fiberglassed in the front doors, or 1 set in the front and 1 in the rear doors. I want to try my hand at glassing. Then later when I upgrade amps try running them active and playing around.
Yea, I had a feeling that the dash speaker would be a pain to work on. I'm not sure about the 09 door panels in comparison to mine, but, it doesn't seem insanely shallow. I haven't taken the panel off to look, though. I know with my rear 6x9s theres pretty much unlimited mounting depth from what I can tell, yet there is only one 6x9 on the driver side and nothing on the passenger side. I'm not even sure if the hole is cut. There's just a grille that I'm assuming is for symmetry.

Hmmm, maybe fiberglass is the best route for you then if you're pretty good at it. Now I'm curious about the depth in my doors.....

I'm gonna do some more searching.

The door panels look deceptively deep. From the metal to the glass is not deep at all. The issue is that if you upgrade using deeper 6x9's, the inside of the speaker cutouts on the inside of the panel have a trim type thing that creates a seal with the stock 6x9's but hit against aftermarket. Horrible design. The stock speakers have some type of horrible plastic trim piece.

I haven't ever done fiberglassing before. I'm a virgin at it, but I want to learn sooner or later so might as well go for it once I get back home!

My rear deck has both speakers. That is weird, maybe because you have the JBL system? Hadn't heard that before, but I didn't ever look at any of the Camry's with the JBL

The door panels look deceptively deep. From the metal to the glass is not deep at all. The issue is that if you upgrade using deeper 6x9's, the inside of the speaker cutouts on the inside of the panel have a trim type thing that creates a seal with the stock 6x9's but hit against aftermarket. Horrible design. The stock speakers have some type of horrible plastic trim piece.
I haven't ever done fiberglassing before. I'm a virgin at it, but I want to learn sooner or later so might as well go for it once I get back home!

My rear deck has both speakers. That is weird, maybe because you have the JBL system? Hadn't heard that before, but I didn't ever look at any of the Camry's with the JBL
So the factory sealing trim piece can't be taken off and just have one built from wood? Then I guess the only issue is will the speaker hit the door during excursion.....its really hard to say w/o having seen one with the panel off....

Yea, the rear deck having one speaker really thru me off to. I looked it up and this indeed how its supposed to be. That little sucker puts in some work though lol. I've literally had people think I'd put a small system in it.

So the factory sealing trim piece can't be taken off and just have one built from wood? Then I guess the only issue is will the speaker hit the door during excursion.....its really hard to say w/o having seen one with the panel off....
Yea, the rear deck having one speaker really thru me off to. I looked it up and this indeed how its supposed to be. That little sucker puts in some work though lol. I've literally had people think I'd put a small system in it.
There is a trim piece on the inside of the door panel. It could probably be cut with a dremel but I didnt have one at the time. That was my latest birthday present! Taking the doors off is really easy. Just 3 screws. One behind the trim piece inside the door handle, and 2 more in the handle on the armrest. Then its just pushtabs all the way around. Once you get the door off you will see what I mean, unless the inside of the doors are different for the JBL

So Terry arrives from work today and look what's waiting for him on his doorstep? A set of the ID's CTX65CS components. As he eagerly opens them up to see them, he decides to document the experience. Haha.
speaker8xi5.jpg

So I begin to look inside and I dig my way quickly to the driver, the part I was really wanting to see.

speaker2cn9.jpg

Look at the size of the magnet on these! They're huge. They're not all that deep either, I've dealt with deeper Focal and RE Audio components and those have been a pain. But these fit great.

speakertk8.jpg

Now check out the cone area on this. Suspension is really tight, it has really punchy, tight midbass, which leads me to the next conclusion...

speaker3dg3.jpg

See this? Don't let it scare you. I ran my comps with 125w RMS per side with no problems at all, they took the wattage beautifully.

speaker7sl9.jpg

The tweets, which I found to be quite sturdy. My dumb *** dropped one by accident while test-fitting it in the mounting location as it barely got nicked. Still works fine as well.

speaker5go3.jpg

The crossover was simple but also sturdy; Simple is sometimes best for electronics. Less problems. Superb workmanship on the crossovers, not to mention the entire set.

speaker6sc4.jpg

Now onto the good part, the review. I originally picked these up after hearing them for a few moments in my friend's car, and reading some of the topics on here about them, so I decided to grab a pair. Couldn't ask for anything more at $179 from Woofersetc.com. For once a pair of speakers that I don't feel like I got ripped off on.

After installing them in my Civic and having fun ripping it apart...

im002969va4.jpg

I finally got to relax and enjoy them.

Right off the bat I barely had to do any equalization (Just a bit of tweaking on the high end because I'm going a bit deaf, too many concerts unfortunately, haha) and the midbass was punchy and tight. The low frequency response (58Hz) being very accurate, there was barely any rolloff until that point. After listening to a few different CDs, I'd have to say I've heard worse sound from $300-$400 component sets. Overall I think the price is amazing and the bang for your buck value can't be beat. These are staying in the Civic for a hell of a long time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
how do you've gone with these speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

TerryMorgan

10+ year member
TerryMorgan
Somewhereville
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies