My remote wire is too small? Lol.

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
So apparently my ~20 gauge remote wire is too small for my hifonics brx2400.1 and it's 8 guage remote wire input lmao. Am I good to just like butt connector my remote wire into some 8 guage I have laying around? Which seems like total overkill anyway. But the stock terminal won't grip my wire.

So apparently my ~20 gauge remote wire is too small for my hifonics brx2400.1 and it's 8 guage remote wire input lmao. Am I good to just like butt connector my remote wire into some 8 guage I have laying around? Which seems like total overkill anyway. But the stock terminal won't grip my wire.
Why don't you do it right?

Get 8 gauge wire, you be safer. There are reason why that remote wire calls for 8 gauge.

Sent from my Portable

Yea.. the only reason is because the speaker terminals use the same size and it cuts down on manufacturing cost if they can use the same size terminals for other things and still keep it safe.

For 20awg wire, just cut like 6" down off the jacket and keep looping it back until the wire is about 1/2" long so it's thick enough to fit in terminal.

8 awg wire can handle about what? 200 amp turn ons? It's not needed but nobody wants a 20awg terminal on an amplifier either.

Yea.. the only reason is because the speaker terminals use the same size and it cuts down on manufacturing cost if they can use the same size terminals for other things and still keep it safe.
For 20awg wire, just cut like 6" down off the jacket and keep looping it back until the wire is about 1/2" long so it's thick enough to fit in terminal.

8 awg wire can handle about what? 200 amp turn ons? It's not needed but nobody wants a 20awg terminal on an amplifier either.
Thanks I hadn't thought of that! I knew that was probably why the terminal was so big just not what to do about it.

Why don't you do it right?
Get 8 gauge wire, you be safer. There are reason why that remote wire calls for 8 gauge.

Sent from my Portable
Where exactly does it say that? I've been using amps for a long time and never once have I came across one that needed 8 gauge for a remote wire. Not one. So I'm curious to know how you came about this theory.

I think Shizzzon hit the nail on the head tho.

Where exactly does it say that? I've been using amps for a long time and never once have I came across one that needed 8 gauge for a remote wire. Not one. So I'm curious to know how you came about this theory.
I just read a thread on smd that says you only need 22 guage lmao. Steve himself affirmed you don't need big wire. I was only wondering how I should get my terminal to grab

I just read a thread on smd that says you only need 22 guage lmao. Steve himself affirmed you don't need big wire. I was only wondering how I should get my terminal to grab
Ya, it is weird. It would def throw someone off loop. Hifonics just saving costs I guess.

I was just assuming why would they use an 8 gauge connection for a remore wire. This is the 1st time that I'm hearing, that the company's do that to save.

Obviously I was wrong! Just assumed..

Sent from my Portable

I normally use 12-16 since thats what i have laying around. Helps because the wire is strong so it doesnt rip along with it being screwed on tight.
I do have some 12 laying around. But I had my head unit installed by a local shop because that was when I knew absolutely nothing about car audio at all. Im just still using the remote wire they threw on there.

Oh by the way Jeff. Just getting the box for the Bonneville build finished up. This box for my one SA 15 absolutely dwarfs the one with the 2 w0s in the cruiser. I definitely think I may have a chance at being louder.

I have a similar situation with my amps. I used a red (20-22 awg) bullet type connector on the end of the remote wire. It fills the 8-10 awg wire terminal nicely. The only problem is the cheap connectors can be crushed by the set screw so don't crank it down.

Although just doubling/quadrupling etc until you get a suitable thickness works fine too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.