my quick review of the bl's since getting my amp to work

IgnoreMe
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com VIP
caraudio.com
2 18" bl's in 11.8 cubes @ 35 hz:

sq: sq is not the best, but certainly not even close to the worst. you have to remember i have owned 2 different gen magnums, and have listened to my friends xxx pretty extensively. the average user will be satisfied with the sq. the audiophile probably will not...but these woofers weren't designed to be the upper echelon for sq anyways, so im not really taking anything away from these woofers.

spl: pretty **** good if you ask me. are being ran off a kx2500.1 with a birthsheet of 2.9kw @ 2 ohms. wired @ 1 ohms with gains set to give roughly 3k. the certainly punch pretty good. i have had to drill my rear hatch glass hinges and put bolts through them because they restripped the threading much like my old sx's did. **** hinges are a POS from the factory so adding a relatively large system wont help fellow post 1998 explorer owners. i haven't listened to my friends xxx in a while and thought that these were not that much louder than his 1 15" xxx, especially since i couldnt turn it up all the way due to my amplifier issue. well after listening to his xxx both in his car and then in my car in place of my bl's and squaring away my amp issue...i heard what i expected and should hear with the huge advantage of cone area and extra power: a slaughter.

power handling: pretty **** good. they defiantly seem like they can take more than what im dishing out though. the move a good bit, but are not maxed out. i do have a decent box rise as well though, so please, lets not all say "oh **** these guys can take 1500w and barley move" which may or may not be the case. i mean they might, but people need to factor in what wattage their subs are TRULY seeing before making assumptions. id say an amp rated at a good 3.2kw or so per pair would be a good bet for most people as most will have a 200-250%+ impedance rise.

overall these woofers IMO are a steal for the price you can get them. they remind me of RE brand woofers before the price increase. main reason i went with FI was just due to the man associated with both companies, Scott. i trusted him after experiencing what RE was all about, and am more than happy.

to FI: just to let you know my friend listened to my subs in his explorer, off not too much power and guess what...he was so happy with them, he decided to get a pair of 18" bl's himself! so if you see an order that was processed for 2 18" bl's with cooling, it was my buddy lol!

ahah..nice review glad u like them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
im quite relieved now lol

edit: btw i should mention to keep in mind, sq is subjective and can be better/worse depending on enclosure

u shouldve made the box bigger though..maybe 14cf tuned to 32hz...ima have to do 2 15s with my space..

not nescessarily, ive got two 18" BLs in the cargo area of a grand cherokee, under the windowline.

yes ive seen tremors pictures and his description of how his bl's sound...definatly seems possible that they would work in a small space. i belive it was nick from FI that said the bl's can play fine in 5-6 cubes.

however...the next box will be pretty close to under the window line, rear seats down, and be in the area of 14 cubes, if not more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

bet it lacks the lows..
actually believe it or not, tremore build a 15 or 17 cube box for his bl's (dont quite remember) and the box he is currently using now had more low end than the 15 (17) cube ported box

my little box doesnt lack any in the lows dept.

that is actually its strong point.

the SPL will still kill a cat though... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and that box was 17cu ft. gross...

the box i use is 10.5 cu ft gross...

gross as in total outside deminsions double baffle and all...

haha, i actually didnt notice who it was that posted this.

so their wangin, eh? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

to clear up any confusion for others, the big box was a regular slot ported box, little box is TTB designed t-line...

big box:

little box (port shoots to passenger wheelwell):

comparisson:

Congrats man. I'm glad you're satisfied. These subs are no joke. I'm giving mine 3Kwatts and wishing I had more power now. So where's the pics & vids?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.