My play by play fiberglassing

NitroDuck
10+ year member

20 inches, Nothin less
Hey all. this is my first real fiberglassing installation in my own car. I dont have the subs yet but it will be for 2 audiobahn aw100q. Im just going to do the glassing project in stages(each stage being a day) because if i do it all at once i wont have anything to do. So on day one i taped off what i want to be the base of the enclosure.

10651.JPG

tomorrow i will start laying the fiberglass down.

Car = 91 Dodge stealth RT

looks good so far.. thats a lota tape.. u got any drawings of ur overall design?
Yeah...i guess it does look like alot. I used the whole roll. I just wanted to make sure no resin got through. I have no design plans now, im just playing it by ear(no pun intended).

Would this be to big a box to go sealed anybody?

Looks good, but how are you planning on getting the fiberglass out once it has hardened? I noticed you had the tape running into areas that are gonna make it nearly impossible to pull out of the hatch. Perhaps you should sit down and sketch up a design plan. Just winging it can get ya into some hot water....errrr resin...errrr....whatever. :p

Oh yeah...the tape doesnt even go all the way back. the tape goes up higher then i want to glass just incase of any accidents. Dont worry...ive been thinking long and hard about this, sorta.

And if it does get in a position where it is tough to pull out, Ill have my trusty dremel.

Why not make a false floor, then make rings to flush mount your audiobahn's. And have the 2 subs facing each other kind of, then something with the amps. I think the latest craze is actually doing something with the amps where it looks like you had to put resin on the amps, like on the sides. Other than that looks good, and I thought I was gonna have to use alot of tape.

i've had so many 3/s cars it's ridiculous.... I have a killer idea for ya!....

Mold the box into the two sides (under the carpet---where those two storage bins are around the spare tire.... you'll still have plenty of room back there when you're done, and they are two boxes... = easy to come out...

be prepared to rattle like a *****... those cars are bad for it... you've got an r/t so that wing is gonna make some noise!..

ps- great taste in a car!

be prepared to rattle like a *****... those cars are bad for it... you've got an r/t so that wing is gonna make some noise!..

ps- great taste in a car!
Yeah, i heard about the wing noise. Will dynomat/second skin help. I wanted to make a false floor but my dad said i should keep my spare "just in case". oh well, im liking the one big box idea and i think it would work well.

Should i angle the subs the same angle with the window (window------>//

One more question, the subs. I am looking at the audiobahn aw100q. They are cheap subs and i figure they are the best for the price(80 shipped a pair). I know most(all) of you are going to say get a K and ive been here long enough and read all the great reviews but what about THIS sub.

Thanks for the comment on the car. Wish it was a 5spd TT though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I wanted to make a false floor but my dad said i should keep my spare "just in case".

Join the club.

As for the subs I have never heard them, but the word on the streets is they have bad SQ. K's are calling you. OR the new Kx's I think thats what they are called. They will beat the old k's. 85 each I think.

Join the club.

As for the subs I have never heard them, but the word on the streets is they have bad SQ. K's are calling you. OR the new Kx's I think thats what they are called. They will beat the old k's. 85 each I think.
NOOOO not the K. jk. im not really looking for sq. I jsut want something to go booooom. maybe i could be one of the few who gets it to sound good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

NOOOO not the K. jk. im not really looking for sq. I jsut want something to go booooom. maybe i could be one of the few who gets it to sound good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Then these would work, also dont look to get ear shattering SPL. BUT it should be nice.

getting audiobahn to sound good takes a master of Eq'ing but it can be done. looks good thus far for a plan like suggested i'd go for the new Kx's they are a bad ass driver. or just keep the aubiobahns just tellin ya know they are hard as all hell to make sound good. but, Sq is subjective;).

adam

best thing i did to kill the rattle was use some 1/4" FOAM weatherstripping and put it where the hatch plastic touched the metal, and then lined it over the seal (on the hatch part). You can also lower the clasp (the two little plastic covers pop out and reveal two bolts- loosen them, knock it down a bit, then tighten them back up-BUT be careful when tightening, they break easily)

I wish I still had pics, but I had three 12" HX2s facing up into the glass (when you closed the hatch, all three were visible from outside).

I don't normally do fiberglass (too messy.. i like mdf), but for a few ideas on 3/s cars check out my webpage (i got a lot of pics of the final installs..

http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~rjuge Just click on the "cars" link...

You can prevent the spoiler rattle by removing it and putting a rubber washer where the bolts meet (really thin one, though). Your main noise is going to come from that rear plastic (all around the hatch....

and the 5/6 speed tt's are fun... i rememeber my stealth ES days... I spun around in three complete circles on a rainy day on the interstate. That was my last FWD car.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

rjuge thanks for the tips. blazer, are the Kx's out yet? Im still sold on the 80 shipped for a pair of subs.

10699.JPG

I finished 2 layers of fiberglass for the base at 12. I ran out of mat and the resin started to harden and became hard to spread. Its 230 now and it feels like it is fully dry except for the partnext to the back seats. I need to run to autozone and get some more mat and put down a few(alot) more layers but that wont be for tomorrow. Will i need to sand before i start laying more when it is fully dry?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.