My Massive audio hippo 1222 won't hit hard

Participant count
  • Participant list

atownmack
10+ year member

I recently upgraded my set up from a Memphis Mojo 12" powered by a hifonics Brutus 1200.1 to a Massive Audio Hippo 12" powered by a Hifonics Brutus 2400.1 The first set up was in a 3.0 cu ft box tuned to 32hz and it murdered the lows and was a wonderful setup. I upgraded to the massive and 2400.1, and have been thoroughly disappointed. I have to turn the gain all the way up to get a decent output. I initially used the same box as the Memphis. I recently build a new box build to the specs on the Massive, 2.6 cu ft @ 36hz. The output is even worse and it seems to struggle playing upper bass. Any suggestions as what I can do to make this set up work?

can be a lot of factors.

what head unit do you have and how do you have everything on both amp and head unit set at right now? as in crossovers, volume, EQ, sub level etc..

as for the upper bass thing, that sub is not made to hit higher notes, its a low end oriented sub. If you wanted a sub that can hit higher midbass notes, you need to get a sub with aluminium shorting rings incorporated in its design. A lot of the cheaper beefy subs give up upper end response for more low end impact.

Is your electricals up to par because brutus amps are power hungry

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I adjusted the gain sub sonic filter, and set the crossover to 70hz. I have my hpf set to 90hz, and the blend is brutally beautiful. This sub now is playing deep and my jl c3's can pick up the midbass region. After adjusting everything I'm now VERY pleased with this sub. Thanks for all your advise. It was an issue with my settings not equipment.

Ok I adjusted the gain sub sonic filter, and set the crossover to 70hz. I have my hpf set to 90hz, and the blend is brutally beautiful. This sub now is playing deep and my jl c3's can pick up the midbass region. After adjusting everything I'm now VERY pleased with this sub. Thanks for all your advise. It was an issue with my settings not equipment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.