my last thread(if i get proof)

I wish //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif
Haha, I can almost fit a 10 in the kick of my 04 dodge truck....I guess I have a little more space than most //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

When I was a kid, I built a pair of home speakers using a 12" and an 8" woofer in them. The rest of the driver compliment was a 6" closed back mid and a Radio Shack tweeter. Topped it off with a Rad Shack 3-way xover.

The woofers shared the same enclosure space. I was warned by the guys at the local audio shop that it might not give "satisfactory results". Screw them.... they had no IDEA what they were talking about.

I forged ahead and built the speakers. Drove it with my Sansui integrated amp. Man, did they slam and sound great!

Thirty years later, I look back at that project and wonder what was pouring through my head. But deep down I know - I was young, I was right, and everyone was out to lunch.

So yeah, it has been done. And at the time it was fantastic...

Don't hold your breath waiting on actual proof, meaning a valid test(s) were done as I doubt anyone has done that. It's another thing to hate on with NO valid data to back it up, or real world experience. Very similar to many who recommend FI subs yet have NEVER even heard one. Guess it's better to be a lemming on here then feel the wrath of the haters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
How about YOU build it like you want and provide the proof that it works //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

I'd like to hear a "fact based" explanation for why a 10" & 12" in the same box playing the same freq's would cancel each other out, but 2 10's or 12's is fine. Seriously someone with some expertise educate us as I'm always willing to learn, but "here say" isn't a good teacher //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
how about you dont talk **** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

here is the deal. different woofers have different thiele small paramaters. they have different free-air resonance. and they will play the frequencies you are supplying them... differently. strange concept, no?

so here is the thing - when sub A plays 60hz, it might have a shitty transient response, and not hit the 60hz note exactally how 60hz should. sub B may have a better transient response, and play the 60hz note on key. now, the different waves comming off the cones, being different distances from eachother and the listener more likely than not will have out of phase output. meaning that the sound waves reaching your ear wont be the same frequency, the same wave amplitude and "phase"... i dont know how else to explain the word phase lol. when they come in contact in the air, they can hit eachother and negate the vibration of air molecules. this is called cancellation and will basically negate the sound, or make it muddy and aka sound like ****.

unless you measure placement with a ruler to get the subs in phase, and do all kinds of other **** with the crossover networks to make the different speakers play the different frequencies so this does not happen, it will have very low performance compared to more simplistic setups.

yes, i have had friends with systems who had done this, that i "fixed" for them. and yes, it sounded a lot better.

i cant tell you weather or not to do that kind of installation. but hell. i would never have one in my car because it would sound like asshowle

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i think the majority of knowledgeable people will agree with me. and hoss.

it is just a bad idea. but go ahead and waste your monies //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.