My geometry isn't what it used to be.

Participant count
  • Participant list

i2ain2thunder
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
st paul, mn
Anyone know how to calculate depth on a wedge?

In the future I wanna build 4 wedge enclosures that fit together invertedly (subs will be facing eachother somewhat). the measurements would be 36inch depth, 7 inch height, 16.5 inch width with a second depth measurement of 12inches.so like a wedge kinda flipped upside down, the 2 12 inch depth parts will stack on top of one another. so once they are fit together the 2 wedges will have a 14inch height and 36inch depth with the subs facing somewhat one another somewhat the rear of the trunk. (one sub up top facing down and one down facing up on the wedge part.) My issue is I don't know how to know if the subs will fit in there I'm worried that the 7in height might not leave enough room for them. Any help much appreciated!

Oh and at the end there would be 2 wedges stacked and another 2 wedges stacked right next to one another so total 33inches wide.

This is basically a loose drawing of what I'm trying to do, sorry no sketchup at work.

inverteddoublewedge.jpg

My measurements aren't perfect I still need to go measure my trunk but I'm probally limited to (per wedge) 8in height, 42in depth, 4in 2nd depth, and 16-18in width anyone know if this will work?

I guess instead of having modified wedges I could do simple triangle wedges that would increse my mounting depth at the cost of enclosure volume, I'll just have to take measurements and see what I can do, I'll prob just have to use the max avail space in my trunk for this setup. I'll have to think about how to fit the double wedges into the trunk too...the first one should be extremely easy, but it's debateable whether I could fit in the second after. Worst case scenario I'll consider just 4 separate sealed cubes, or all in one ported enclosure. What would work best? I'm guessing the clamshelled weges would sound amazing and have really good output, the 4 cubes would just sound great, not too loud though. Ported would be doable and very loud, but I don't really wan't that.

Calculate triangular cross section area of wedge (1/2 x base x height) then multiply by the depth to get the volume in inches cubed. Many geometric calculators on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realized I was going about this retardedly, all I have to do is modify the wedge a bit and I can ensure mounting depth. Anyway this is what the end result will be, I'll take measurements today, grab wood tomorrow, and hopefully will have the 2 wedges done by the time I get my new subs. I'll start with 2 wedges see how it sounds and later when I can afford the 3rd and 4th woofers and boxes I'll add those.

ultrawedge.jpg

the subs probally get coupled pretty hardcore toward the rear of the trunk...should sound great at least I think anyway lol never know.

Update, I'm going for it guys got all my measurements down just need to build. heres some pics of the progress today after work.

wedgeenclosurespecs-1.png

2011-10-11_20-34-52_124.jpg

Should be able to complete the boxes tomorrow I had some issues today such as blowing a fuse with the table saw so bad that the fuse welded to the fuse insert...that was fun to work on in the dark //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.