My component woofer keeps dying

Participant count
  • Participant list

kiteman

dallas
I have a 2012 Camaro with the upgraded audio system. I have since used a popular adapter harness that is a plug in play to replace the stock amp with a PPI 900.4. i did this about 4 years ago and ran the stock speakers/HU no problem. about a year ago my driver's side door speaker started crackling and eventually stopped working completely. at that point i decided to buy a sub and replace the front door speakers to Polk Audio db6501.

about 10 months since that install, and my driver's side polk started crackling and then eventually this past week stopped working. it was weird because as it was cutting in and out, when it was out i could bang on my door where the x-over and wiring was and it would briefly play again before stopping.

today i decided to have a look and touching around and pressing on the wires got no noise from the speaker, and i even tried hooking up the woofer to the tweeter on the crossover just to see if it would play and nothing. hooked up another speaker and it worked, then took car speaker out and hooked up to system in the house and no sound. so i guess it is dead? btw throughout all of this the tweeter plays just fine, and i believe it did on the stock speaker as well.

now i can go through warranty and stuff to replace the speaker, but i'm more concerned about how this one died the same death as the other speaker, and what is causing it. doesn't seem like a weird coincidence, but of course it could be? any ideas?

the banging on my equipment comment is kind of silly, i just hit the door panel where the wires run and the speaker was well on its way out before then, so it had nothing to do with it.

as for clipping, i tested with a multimeter before install and according to that it is not clipping. also, it never happens to the passenger speaker, and the gain controls are for both speakers. so logically clipping doesn't really make sense, right?

any other thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.