My Amps wont turn on. Why?

KJLiberty
10+ year member

I have 2 amps in my car and they worked perfectly for about a month and then suddenly they just stopped. They do not even turn on at all. the small lights on top light up a bit showing they get some power but the green power LEDs do not. I checked all fuses in the amps and the one under the hood and theyre all good. What could be my problem?

Just some notes of extra info:

1. Im running 0AWG knu kca off the battery to a dsitribution block where i run 4awg to the amps.

2. amps are mb quart onyx. one is a 1.1000d and a 4.60

3. for my remote wire i have it cut and spliced into two so i could connect it to both amps

4. I have a single 0awg ground into a distribution block with 4awg to the amps

maybe blown? not reciving enough power. lots of issues here to be adressed wht have u checked so far?
checked all fuses and theyre good. i have big 3 and an optima yellowtop on stock alt so id hope theres enough power considering im only pulling 800wrms. all the wiring connections are good. it may be my ground which i have to remove some stuff to get to. when i changed my wiring my last ground was oxidized and ugly and im using the same spot but with bigger wire. so it may be that.

Anybody think splicing the remote could potentially be a problem? Remote wire is pretty small as it is, but I dunno.

Anybody think splicing the remote could potentially be a problem? Remote wire is pretty small as it is, but I dunno.
true. to further explain what i did ill say that i cut it, then used the extra slack and spliced the two to the single one so im still getting the full effect i think.

you can splice the remote wire without problems going to those two amps. you need a dmm and measure to see if your +rem has +12 volts and that your grounds are good. could be bad coming from the deck. it's hard to say without a multimeter telling you what is going on, it's speculation until you dive into it.

you can splice the remote wire without problems going to those two amps. you need a dmm and measure to see if your +rem has +12 volts and that your grounds are good. could be bad coming from the deck. it's hard to say without a multimeter telling you what is going on, it's speculation until you dive into it.
my remote is wired to the fuse in my front fuse panel not the HU if thats what you mean. im going to check the grounds now. only thing is when i first installed the amps they went straight to protect because the ground wire into the amp wasnt enough. now they just dont turn on.

i'd def look into that ground too then. set the DMM to ohms and see what the reading neg terminal on the amp to the neg on your battery post it. (it should be 0)

i'd def look into that ground too then. set the DMM to ohms and see what the reading neg terminal on the amp to the neg on your battery post it. (it should be 0)
the ground is fine. i dont have a dmm but i do have a voltmeter on the distribution block and i think i know the problem. just unplugged and replugged the remotes. the amps turned on and all was well for a few minutes. i was getting 11.5volts at middle to high volume. then suddenly my voltage randomly dropped to 8.6 and it all shut down. not even protect mode, just straight turned off. what could this be?

a shop should be able to test your alt to see if it's charging and how well. is it just the amps not powering on? are your interior lights dimming when it's dropping to 8? maybe your positive 0 gauge is loose at one end.

a shop should be able to test your alt to see if it's charging and how well. is it just the amps not powering on? are your interior lights dimming when it's dropping to 8? maybe your positive 0 gauge is loose at one end.
ill have to go there. just the amps. the lights and everything power on just fine. sometimes theres dimming inside at night when i have all the lights on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.