my amp keeps going into protection mode

Participant count
  • Participant list
Il try and keep it short so I get some answers.

Front components

rear coax

all 4ohmsx100

Rockford p450.4 60x4

I keep thinking I figured out the problem. This has been happening for a year, I replaced speaker wired, ground power, remote seems good, 3. Something ohms to each speaker and tweeter. Gains set with a dmm

It happens at high volume where there some kind of singing going on. Goes in protection mode for about 10 seconds comes back on and goes back unless I lower the volume.

One thing I noticed , replaced all speaker wires today and before I did that I could fade to each speaker and it would happen to all speakers except rl

After replacing the speaker wires i had my iPod on and it would only go in protection with the rr speaker and no other one. I took that speaker out and threw it on another channel and it went into protection, put that same channel back to original speaker and no protection so I figured the speaker was bad.

With the rr speaker disconnected I blasted my iPod for a while with no problems

Took a ride a few hours later and put a CD in and it started again even with that speaker disconnected. Im ******* annoyed with this. Someone please help. Sometimes people will ask something and never come back to respond. I need someone to help me diagnose please.

I tested all speakers and got 3.Something ohms , even tweeters. Could it be crossovers? Everything sounds good when working.

Thanks

but if the kenwood smokes when it gets hooked up, then maybe you have a problem with your wiring. Does the amp get really hot? Also, check all your speakers wires to make sure none of them are grounded out on the chassis, that can mess the amp up.

Im gonna check the speakers for that and try a new amp. I also have a punch 300x wich is 37x4 or 150 x2 . Gonna try that those tomorrow. Thanks.

Anything else I should be looking at? What should my remote v be, and should my power to amp be the same as power at battery?

Remote voltage should be 12, power to amp is from the battery, yes. I would check all speaker wires before switching amps. Just to make sure and eliminate all factors before taking out the amp.

Hook up the iPod direct to the amp. See if it protects. Could be just a bad or pinched RCA check all power and remote wires voltages smd continuity on the ground

How would I test the rca wires. I have 3 sets. 2 Rockford rca I was using for the 4 channel, and one for sub.

I replaced my headunit a few weeks ago and switched out one Rockford rca with the sub rca and the problem still happens.

Should I just get some reading off the Rockford rca im not using , since I switched that one and it still happens, and match that with the Rockford rca I am using?

I got some readings if they matter. These are with car on , same song that went into protection mode last and no speakers connected only rca

battery v 13.82 battery at amp 13.78. Remote 12.60

while I had the speaker wires disconnected , same song, I checked the ac voltage coming out of each channel and it was fluctuating between 12 and like 22 v ac but mostly on the 22 side. Now I set my gains with my iPod and a 1000Hz tone to 15 v so I can get the 60 rms my amp puts out but this song was a cd so I turned the gains down. After I turned the gains Down I reconnected all speaker wires except the one I think is bad and it didn't go into protection mode but I was only getting about 4v - 10 v ac out of the channels, if I put gains up a little, it would go into protection mode.

So far im at the point that its not going into protection mode with the rr speaker disconnected

I disconnected all speaker wires and only connected the one speaker I think is bad , the rr speaker. Its not in the door its just connected with a small piece of wire to the rr channel. And it went into protection mode frequently, when the part of the song that the girl sings. While I had it going into protection mode I did some readings with dmm.

The remote wire not in protection mode I'd get about 12.35 v and when it goes into protection mode it would go up to 12.47

The power wire not in protection mode I'd get 13.60 at the amp and 13.80 in protection mode.

I hope this helps . Does anybody have any clue what it could be? I think all wires are good. I don't see any crimped wires, ground is also good

I haven't tried any other amps because I have two older amps that don't even have protection mode and im afraid I'll do more damage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.