my amp is over heating

Participant count
  • Participant list
Amps are supposed to get hot, that's what they do. Does it shut down or anything? that's when you worry if something is wrong.

Nobody can answer the second question (wait, the first one wasn't even a question) unless you tell us HOW they're wired.

yes my amp shuts down. i drove for about 20 miles listening at a comfortable listening level and then all of a sudden I had no bass.

you know how to bridge amp channels right?

my subs are both plugged into the same channel on my amp.

i have a positive and negative that goes from the amp to 1 sub and another that's plugged into the same terminals on the amp and goes directly to the other sub.

also, are amps supposed to get so hot that you can't possibly keep your hand on them for more than a second?

From what you've described, you're running your speakers in parallel. Which means that the one channel they are plugged into is seeing a 2 ohm load. That's probably fine as most amps are two ohm stable.

Is the amp a two channel amp? Also, what kind is it?

my amp is a 2 channel Crunch P2250 1000 Watt amp

do you know how i could get the load to be 4 ohms with those two subs using one channel? im trying to get the rms output to be 500 Watts. the amp has the input volts knob but im not sure whether to set it closer to the 4 volt side or the.2 volt side. i think i need to know the output volts on the remote lead from my head unit which is an Alpine CDE7856. it sounds fine and is undistorted when its working but then after about 30-45 minutes of use it cuts out.

Unfortunately, you can't make two, 4 ohm subs a 4 ohm load. But, from what you've described, this is what you do.....................

Wire your subs in a series loop. One sub's + to the other subs -. This makes them an 8 ohm load. Then take the left over speaker leads and run them to your amp. Your amp must be bridged. The two bridged channels "share" the 8 ohm load and the amp will then "see" a 4 ohm load. Make sense?

As far as the voltage setting, set it to the .2 volt side. It's asking not for the remote voltage (that's going to be 12v) but the imput voltage from your RCA's. In my experience with Alpine, it doesn't do 4v of output.

Hope this helps!!!!

bean, i didn't end up with any extra wires what have i f&^%$# up??

also my amp got super hot super fast. i must have screwed up somewhere.

First problem is the amp is a Crunch... second thing even if you had put a 2 ohm load on a bridged amp most would be able to handle that. Options include getting rid of the amp, bring the gain down further and hope it keeps it a bit cooler, install a better ventilation system (i.e. Fans) or move the amp to a more well ventilated area. Seriously speaking tho I would consider prepping to buy a new amp.

I really can't believe you just clowned on this dudes amp....................Pot calling kettle, come in kettle............lol

for those that read this and don't get it, it's just a joke for Alaxan.

LMAO. Bean man you know it, but I just have had issues with a few amps and subs. One of those being crunch, but given his problem here it is a high probability it is bad.

the way my subs are set up they are entirely enclosed in seperate chambers except for four ports. each of the chambers has a receiver that accepts the +- leads from the amp. i tried to wire it the way you said, one subs + to the others - and visa-versa right. that means i had one wire go all the way from the amp to one sub, then a +- lead to the other sub. if i had had any wires to run back to the amp i would have but it would have just meant that there was current between the subs because they both would have been directly powered. can you explain in much more detail to me again how to wire it that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.