Must have audiophile music thread

Oh yea?

Man I've gone from 30 Mbps internet to internet in the country where I'm lucky to get 700 Kbps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
off topic, but same here. hopefully soon i'll have ethernet ran into this room again and i can ditch the wireless.

Oh yea?

Man I've gone from 30 Mbps internet to internet in the country where I'm lucky to get 700 Kbps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
When I was living back home in the country we were on a 33.6k dial up connection.

Mp3? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
lol just samples.. unles u want flac .. go to avaxhome.ws/music then click on audiophile section.. i collect over 40gbs in flac.

Spies. By Way Of The World. This is a Telarc Jazz CD from 1990.

Leonard Slatkin St Louis Symphony Orchestra. Another Telarc CD. This one is from 1983.

Thomas Dolby. Aliens Ate My Buick. This is a must have. Very dynamic.

Flim & the BB's. TriCycle. A DMP inc disc from 1983.

Spyro Gyro. Alternating Currents. This CD is from 1985.

Elton John Live In Australia With the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. Recorded in 1987.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Midnight Radio. This is from 1990.

Peter Gabriel. Security. 1982.

Candy Dulfer. Sax-a-Go-Go. A hot chick that blows a Sax, need I say more? 1993.

The Police. Every Breath You Take, The Classics. 1995.

Sheffield Lab. "My Disc" tracks # 1-6. 1994

I like each one of these for a different reason, but for the most part all sound fantastic.

I figured since that's what this forum is ultimately about, I wanna get some input on what you guys think is necessary listening, or just good tracks to test your setup. When you answer, state artist and album and why it's good. If anyone posts any rap made after 2000, I'll personally find a way to ban you (that's coming from a devout hip-hop lover too). I'll start with a few choices:
Gerald Albright - Live at Birdland West

This CD is one of my two reference albums. The most important track is song 2, Georgia on my Mind. This song has some of the most insane dynamics and impact that you've ever heard. It'll stretch your system from low to high. If you cringe at the sax notes, your tweeters need to be attenuated, and if you think the bass sounds muddy, it isn't; your woofers are just sloppy. No speaker I've ever heard on this track has ever been without fault.

Diana Krall - Girl in the Other Room / Look of Love / Live in Paris

All three of these albums are phenomenal. The vocals are what you want to look for, as Krall will test your mids for weakness, and if its there, she'll sound hollow or will screech. The only speakers to ever produce her voice ideally are some large Definitives I tried to clone and my 871s full ranges. Nothing else comes close

Fourplay - Elixir

This album, especially "Why Can't It Wait Till Morning" are wonderful for full range sounds that you wouldn't expect. WCIWTM's opening consists of light and airy flutes, plucked guitar, jazz guitar, bass and Phil Collins. All in all, WCIWTW akes this album my other reference album. The track after WCIWTM is straight dynamics and impact like you've never seen or imagined.
John Coltraine.....Greatest Hits

At the risk of flamage, I like Aquemini by Outkast. Especially this song called "Liberation" I think that was 1997 or 8 when this came out.

I have been listening to a lot of Prince lately as well. The stuff with the Revolution.

Purple Rain, and Around the World in a Day.

Even though it's post 2000............. Find an instrumental for Kanye West's Gone and Late off the Late Registration album

John Coltraine.....Greatest Hits
There's actually a Coltrane GH out there? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif I didn't know that...

Something like Blue Train is totally different than his later free-jazz stuff where he's just wailing on it nonstop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Jazz is meant to be listened to in the album form.

lol just samples.. unles u want flac .. go to avaxhome.ws/music then click on audiophile section.. i collect over 40gbs in flac.
Thank you for that link //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There's actually a Coltrane GH out there? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif I didn't know that...
Something like Blue Train is totally different than his later free-jazz stuff where he's just wailing on it nonstop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Jazz is meant to be listened to in the album form.
http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-John-Coltrane/dp/B000046PVI

This was the one I was referring to.

I'm not really a Jazz guy, but I am trying to listen to stuff with instruments other than a drum and keyboard. So I been listening to that, Prince, The Roots, and some old stuff with live bands. Miri Ben-Ari is good too. I just have a few songs of hers though.

Sevendust- Southside Double Wide Live
Not common to most of you but awesome double disc and recorded very well ecspecially Johnny Cash/ Nine Inch Nails cover of Hurt.
Hell yeah. Sevendust is an awesome band. They make good music and they're great bunch off guys too.

No offense but Tool is not Audiophile...

You might like it... But still not Audiophile...
Oh and why not? Was it recorded poorly? Does it include instruments that maybe you do not like or does it lack the ones you do like? Do Maynard's screams automatically constitute the album as being "not" audiophile? Is it because most people would agree their music is far from beautiful? Can you please, please tell me why this album is not audiophile?

Lateralus was recorded in HDCD format which is superior to regular redbook CDs. Many CD players are able to decode this format. Windows media player also decodes HDCD encoded discs. Lateralus was also nominated for a TEC award.

I understand most audiophiles who will listen to this album for their first time will not like it and certainly would never use it as a reference album to test high end equipment. True I have never seen a review in any magazine where the reviewer uses any of Tool's albums which simply means they dont like this type of music. But I have noticed them using Diana Krall* albums numerous times. And one day I got to listen to her music at a near by high end audio store and you know what, I didnt like her music. They might say they dont use Tool not for personal reasons but because its not "audiophile" enough. Kind of like I believe that some reviews are innacurate or payed of or full of crap.

The other day I let my girlfriend listen to my audio system after I purchased a new DAC. I wanted to see what differences she would notice with this new piece I got. You know what the first track she turned on was? Dani California by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I told her this was not a very good track for testing but what she said made me speak no further. She said she has listened to that song many times on many different systems and she knows and remembers exactly how it sounds. After that track she pointed out the exact findings I did including a few more. What Im trying to say is that people have their own opinion on what "audiophile" is.

Some of what people have listed here I would not find audiophile either. But the reason I find it to be so is because either I dislike that certain music or I just havent heard it enough. Would you go spend thousands or even hundreds on audio equipment by using albums that somebody else picked out for you and said they are audiophile? Give any of us new equipment to listen to, we are all going to play albums that we know and remember every detail of.

You say their music is not balanced. Thats kind of what I think of the sound that many B&W speakers produce. Poor response graphs and over the top high end extension. Maybe you need to trade in that British ear for a neutral ear?

See, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh and why not? Was it recorded poorly? Does it include instruments that maybe you do not like or does it lack the ones you do like? Do Maynard's screams automatically constitute the album as being "not" audiophile? Is it because most people would agree their music is far from beautiful? Can you please, please tell me why this album is not audiophile?
Lateralus was recorded in HDCD format which is superior to regular redbook CDs. Many CD players are able to decode this format. Windows media player also decodes HDCD encoded discs. Lateralus was also nominated for a TEC award.

I understand most audiophiles who will listen to this album for their first time will not like it and certainly would never use it as a reference album to test high end equipment. True I have never seen a review in any magazine where the reviewer uses any of Tool's albums which simply means they dont like this type of music. But I have noticed them using Diana Krall* albums numerous times. And one day I got to listen to her music at a near by high end audio store and you know what, I didnt like her music. They might say they dont use Tool not for personal reasons but because its not "audiophile" enough. Kind of like I believe that some reviews are innacurate or payed of or full of crap.

The other day I let my girlfriend listen to my audio system after I purchased a new DAC. I wanted to see what differences she would notice with this new piece I got. You know what the first track she turned on was? Dani California by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I told her this was not a very good track for testing but what she said made me speak no further. She said she has listened to that song many times on many different systems and she knows and remembers exactly how it sounds. After that track she pointed out the exact findings I did including a few more. What Im trying to say is that people have their own opinion on what "audiophile" is.

Some of what people have listed here I would not find audiophile either. But the reason I find it to be so is because either I dislike that certain music or I just havent heard it enough. Would you go spend thousands or even hundreds on audio equipment by using albums that somebody else picked out for you and said they are audiophile? Give any of us new equipment to listen to, we are all going to play albums that we know and remember every detail of.

You say their music is not balanced. Thats kind of what I think of the sound that many B&W speakers produce. Poor response graphs and over the top high end extension. Maybe you need to trade in that British ear for a neutral ear?

See, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.
Really, you seriously want to see who has the bigger swinging dick?

I'm guessing by your comments that you either like French or American loudspeakers. Lots of midbass with a flabby bass end that gives you the illusion that it is kicking ass with a dominate presents band and relaxed high frequencies so that you can listen to poor music at high volumes and think it sounds good.

I'm not sure the last time you tested a loudspeaker in an anechoic chamber but that is the only place where you can really measure a loudspeakers frequency response. So I really don't know what has to do with anything.

Anyway, Tool. They are an overmixed player pop band marketed to a generation of self indulgent babies who think mommy and daddy should have bought them that new whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. You know the kids that think the world is unfair to them yet they don't bother to do anything about it because they think someone will take care of them and wipe their asses when they **** their pants.

Specifically about their sound. The sound is over processed and completely fabricated using a vast array of effects, processors, and compressors. I must say the point of loudspeakers and audiophile sound is to produce music or sound that sounds as close to the natural instrument as possible. This is not obtainable using the Tool mixing template. Is that a power drill in one of their song? Their is no real musicality to their sound and it is more a bunch of annoying noises and riffs that someone thought was unique but sounds more like a ripped off Peter Gabriel effect clashing with something some other band at some other place threw together once. Yes there is 3 or more note chords and harmony and even come counter harmony but it is something that a 6th grade band student screwing around on a piano could have come up with.

So, you are probably wondering how they got so cool and popular and now their shows sell out in minutes. Nonconformists, punkish, I'm mad at mommy so I'm going to get another piercing and dye my hair orange kids are the most band wagon bastards I have ever met in my entire life. They are more like cattle than any other group of people EVER.

Oh and furthermore just to clarify you are saying that Dani California constitutes Audiophile music? If so, it might be time to sell your equipment and get a pair of Apple headphones and a iPod.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.