Question about setting gains

Jakeeck
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Eutopia
Ok i know theres 292230 threads about how to set gains.. BUT i couldnt find the answer to the questions anywhere

will a 50Hz test tone blow the stock speakers in my car? NOT the sub.. but the speakers. IF YES.. is there anyway to use a dmm to set my gains WITHOUT having to disconnect my stock speakers. i dont want to take the HU back out to unplug them. unhooking the sub is no problem..

ALSO

i know i am supposed to unplug my sub and i know the formula is watts x impedence.. which is 900x2=1800 square root is 42.4v.. now i want to know if i can set it at 42.4v WITHOUT having any kind of load hooked up to the amp. is that 42.4v still accurate without a load hooked up?

what exactly does increasing the subwoofer output level from my deck do.. is it essentially the same thing as setting the gain on my amp higher? can i still send clipped signals?

set your HPF for the speakers to like 120Hz and you should be fine as it'll filter out the low stuff.
Sub still getting stinky?
no im pretty sure the sub is fine now.. it still smells a little bit in the car but i think the scent is just trapped in there for now.

If your sub is amplified but not the internal speakers look in the head unit owner's manaul and see if there's a way to disable its internal amplifier. When I set mine I unplugged the fronts from my bridged 4 channel's RCAs but disabled the head unit's amp to turn off the rears, which go off the head unit. When I foolishly tuned my last amp using a 1000 db tone and the speakers hooked up, listening for a tone change, I got an ever so slight burning smell right before I turned it off. It went away and and everything ran fine for a couple years before I upgraded but Im quite sure I came quite close to killing them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.