moving mass?How important is it to me and you

adammk5
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
It seems like when I run any sub with a light moving mass, it gets loud with a small amount of power.

EXAMPLE:My 15ae's moving mass is around 280g while my 15xxx's moving mass is 481g. My 15ae gets a lot louder than my xxx.

See the thing is why don't most companies concentrate on this aspect.

I see why the magnumd2 is praised so much is because is extremely light moving mass,it's just a basic tc9 with a light poly cone.

also the w7 has extremely light moving mass.

off topic: are you going to the SLAP show today at tweeter on 1960?

The XXX isnt really the most efficient sub there is, the eD may also like the box it is in moreso than the XXX does.

Mms is just one piece of the puzzle. Mms affects sensitivity, Fs, Qms, Qes and (subsquently) Qts. You can't focus on Mms without taking the driver's entire overall design into account. Change Mms, and you pretty much change all of the driver's characteristics.

So, basically, you can't pick a sub apart based solely on it's Mms. You have to look at how it's Mms integrates with the entire design.

Mms is just one piece of the puzzle. Mms affects sensitivity, Fs, Qms, Qes and (subsquently) Qts. You can't focus on Mms without taking the driver's entire overall design into account. Change Mms, and you pretty much change all of the driver's characteristics.
So, basically, you can't pick a sub apart based solely on it's Mms. You have to look at how it's Mms integrates with the entire design.
x2. Physically, the moving mass of the sub is only a factor in higher frequencies (apporaching and past the passband), low freqs are so much more restricted by the suspension that the moving mass is almost negligible, and once you enter the stopband it actually is negligible.

somthings majorly wrong if ur 15ase is getting louder than ur XXX. My 12"XXX was a shitload loder thant my freind 15ae
Something is not majorly wrong, your setup was probably more proper to the sub at hand. My 15a (same as an AE) was nearly as loud as my brother's SX (VERY comparable, and actually louder in some cases than the xxx) with less power in a lower tuned enclosures. The A series are great drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.