Mounting tweeters in sail panel

Participant count
  • Participant list

Vincer77
10+ year member

Installing a 6.5" component set in a 2002 4runner. I was planning on mounting the tweeters in the sail panels in place of the factory tweeters. After taking them off, I note that the factory tweeters were mounted pretty rigidly to the door with a bracket. I was not planning on that. How necessary is it?

necessary to hold the tweeters in place. a pic would help - of both the factory and aftermarket tweeters and how it would fit. we don't know what tweeters you have.

aftermarket are sometimes larger than stock as well.

it is common to see that bracket. you need to be creative. i usually end up making my own bracket out of metal plumbers strap, bending and cutting until i get a mount that works with the new tweeters.

You didn't plan on mounting them with a bracket? What was your plan, some spit and bubblegum to hold it in place?

You didn't plan on mounting them with a bracket? What was your plan, some spit and bubblegum to hold it in place?
the stock bracket probably screws into the factory speaker. this isn't feasible with aftermarket.

sometimes it's an easy swap and everything fits.

i've used a large variety over the years, spit and bubblegum isn't too far off sometimes. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sorry I haven't had a chance to post a picture. I epoxied the tweeter mounts to the sail panels and the panel snaps in place. The original tweeters did indeed have brackets attached to the back of tweeter with a screw. I was concerned that maybe the tweeter needs a stable mount to sound correct. As far as staying in place, it seems ok. I will keep the bubblegum in mind though!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.