Mounting the subwoofer

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.
I was worried because I read a thread a while ago about some dude using regular screws on a Stereo Integrity subwoofer with, what I assume, is the same deal with the surround. SI recommends using, if I remember correctly, a screw with some kind of washer I think. I can't remember exactly.
I'll just pre drill a hole through the surround, and mount them. If you guys say it shouldn't be an issue, I'm good with that.
I did take some pictures, if anyone's curiousView attachment 40898View attachment 40899I don't know if you guys can even see it in these pictures though lol
LOL.. Looks like theyre Jig is off a little bit??Pretty close to the surround man. LOL Dammned!!!

You can always drill new mounting holes a bit more Center or to the edge if you want/worried at all. Ive done that in the past on some old SPL- 10"DVC 1 ohm subs
I would be too afraid of f*cking them up to be quite honest. I don't think I have the confidence in myself to pull that off. Though it sounds straight forward enough

I read the same thread about the SQL's that's the only sub I've ever heard of this happening with.
Right on! That makes me feel a lot better. I just saw this today when I was cutting out the holes for my baffle and that thread is what immediately popped into my mind. Thought, before I f*cked up a discontinued sub, I'd ask and make sure this wasn't the same type of deal

So I'm not trippin! They are hella close, aren't they? 🤣 I just thought maybe I hadn't looked that closely at sub mounting holes in a while
Well.. Most Mounting holes are a little different so they say 👀 👀 :poop::poop:.LOL. But Ya. looks like someone in that department said ""LOL..Oh well it"ll be alright".🍻🍻🍻

I would be too afraid of f*cking them up to be quite honest. I don't think I have the confidence in myself to pull that off. Though it sounds straight forward enough
Its pretty easy.Flip sub upside down on a pillow or two on the bench with some 1x4s Or 2x4s 10" or 1ft long,Two work just fine, Take the gasket run it over the sub lay flat,pull gasket to center of the lining, mark with a correction pen for first drill from back side with 1/8" bit, use a Roofing nail to hammer in place..Go opposite side do same and as so like 4 corners until you are done. The holes will bevel out/ mushroom, but will push back inward after you screw down from existing side.. I think I used some Opoxy on the gasket to keep in place with the screws in place and let it sit over night and it sealed just fine.I used those little wood hole caps for the existing holes and painted those black due to being plain jane and put a dab of Opoxy on them to hold in place. Looked pretty good afterwards. I thought they would eventually fall off. but never did?? LOL. Some Rigging but I wanted those subs to go in the truck man. Improvised

Its really not that hard at all. Just dont rush and take your time. Its just mounting holes and thin metal. If you use a punch at all put it on a grinder and get that puppy sharp on the end so it goes through easily. All you need is a small indention for the bit not to move or a good steady hand or a bench press works best

I’ve installed a lot of brand new subs before. Like we’d build boxes and install the new sub into the box, and then install the box and tune the amps and what not. Most subs we just installed with wood screws, being not super high power. I’ve always just used the wood screw to slowly punch a hole where it seems like it’s just the surround rubber that doesn’t have any holes in it, and I never remember having any problem. Idk if that’s the way you’re supposed to do it, but I’ve probably done this and seen this done dozens upon dozens of times. I actually had a Fi Q 15 I spec’d out as my first sub and did this with, iirc. I usually just don’t worry about it and drill right through it while attaching it to the box. I’d be more worried about the drill hitting the surround curve next to the cone, personally. That’s where a hole would definitely cause a problem 👀

That surround glue should very strong. The surround fabric or rubber or whatever should be glued everywhere around that hole, so only the part over the hole on the frame should move or change at all. You could always take a punch or nail or drill bit or something to make a starter hole in those. I’ve had to do that before to line up a sub’s basket with the holes already in a box, for example.

Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...