motor question for you chevy guys

pitbull12887
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
waxhaw, NC
Bought a 97 Camaro RS that im wanting to convert to a v8. Im thinking all i need is the motor ( Fresh rebuilt 72 chevelle 350 4 bolt main ) , im going to use a 6 speed from a lt1 and what else should i need besides motor mounts? If i convert it to carb i dont need to change computers correct? Thanks for the help guys!

- Mike

no computer need for a carb but you will have to trick it with an emg box for the rest of the cars functions
If i did run fuel injection i would have to change the ecu going from a v6 to a v8 correct? Which would be easier?

Bought a 97 Camaro RS that im wanting to convert to a v8. Im thinking all i need is the motor ( Fresh rebuilt 72 chevelle 350 4 bolt main ) , im going to use a 6 speed from a lt1 and what else should i need besides motor mounts? If i convert it to carb i dont need to change computers correct? Thanks for the help guys!

- Mike
you will need a manual fuel pump that bolts on to the bblock (bottom toward the front on the passenger side) and no you dont need any computers for a carb.

you will need a manual fuel pump that bolts on to the bblock (bottom toward the front on the passenger side) and no you dont need any computers for a carb.
Right, i forgot about that. Ive only used a block off plate and used the electric fuel pump before. How would i go about from using a electric to a manual? What all work would have to be done?

When I did my truck (92 Chevy 1500) I put a fuel pressure regulator on it to bring it down to like 6 psi. It was a fuel injected v6 and its now a carbuerated v8. A lotta little "nickel and dime" bs, but very worthwile.

dueces either way you have to change to ecu or buy an emg so........
Couldnt i just run fuel injection on the new motor and have the computer flashed to reset the memory when i finish installing everything?

You do NOT need to get rid of your electric pump, just get a regulator that goes to 6-8psi. Unless your car is a stick, you will need to get all the clutchgear, and pedals for that 6 speed. If you decide to run EFI, I would get an aftermarket controller, it would just be cheaper to run a carb. Your radiator will probably not be large enough, so you need to get one of those as well. Front springs will be too soft, upgrade those. Motor mounts, make sure you have the correct ones. When you get the tranny, make sure to get the crossover support, and the bar that links the tranny and the rearend together.

If the motor you are using came from a 72 chevelle doesn't it already have a manual fuel pump with it or at least a place to put it? GM used manual fuel pumps, in F bodies at least, until 85.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.