Most of us here have good car audio equip... yet we listen to mp3s...pfft.

I keep 8 tracks at all times for the ultimate SQzzz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
records ftw //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Most of the music I listen to that is worth anything to me has been re-ripped in Apple Lossless format to store on my iPod. I go through painstaking tasks to ensure I have the best quality music files because the car is one of the few places that I listen to music with the majority of my listening performed on my computer or my HTPCs.

Unfortunately, most modern day, currently produced music has the life compressed out of it to be LOUD for the portable MP3 player generation. Sadly, it almost doesn't matter if one listens to the mp3 file or the CD because they are BOTH garbage for production with little to no dynamic range whatsoever. One of the things I started looking into was DVD-A masters of the modern material that I like. Talk about a night and day difference in production quality between the DVD Audio disc and the CD version of the same recordings.

Of course, I am going to go out on a limb and say that quality MP3 files are good enough for the automotive environment. Why? Because the automobile itself is the major hurdle for "audiophile" reproduction standards. Between the unequal path lengths, reflective surfaces, and extraneous noise introduced into the vehicle while in motion, one doesn't really need the absolute best in musical reproduction standards due to the hostile environment posed by the automobile. Say what you will, but "good enough" is the best one is going to achieve in the mobile environment!

so.. what do you guys do? How do you justify getting all this great gear.. only to be playing subpar quality mp3s???

*discuss*
what are you listening to that you need superb quality in a moving vehicle going 70mph?

320K mp3s are good for everyday use

i like my music to sound its best also, but its not gonna sound its greatest in a car unless you invest alot of time and money

Most of the music I listen to that is worth anything to me has been re-ripped in Apple Lossless format to store on my iPod. I go through painstaking tasks to ensure I have the best quality music files because the car is one of the few places that I listen to music with the majority of my listening performed on my computer or my HTPCs.
Unfortunately, most modern day, currently produced music has the life compressed out of it to be LOUD for the portable MP3 player generation. Sadly, it almost doesn't matter if one listens to the mp3 file or the CD because they are BOTH garbage for production with little to no dynamic range whatsoever. One of the things I started looking into was DVD-A masters of the modern material that I like. Talk about a night and day difference in production quality between the DVD Audio disc and the CD version of the same recordings.

Of course, I am going to go out on a limb and say that quality MP3 files are good enough for the automotive environment. Why? Because the automobile itself is the major hurdle for "audiophile" reproduction standards. Between the unequal path lengths, reflective surfaces, and extraneous noise introduced into the vehicle while in motion, one doesn't really need the absolute best in musical reproduction standards due to the hostile environment posed by the automobile. Say what you will, but "good enough" is the best one is going to achieve in the mobile environment!
tl;dr

I feel like there is more dynamic range coming out of the Vinyls and Vinyl rips I have from the 70s than there is in the music being recorded today. Producers dont take advantage of stereo anymore either. 90% of the time I has a sad when listening to newer music, its all garbage anyway though.

Everyone's "good enough" is usually the standard for music quality...

Most "good enough" quality is a cd ripped into mp3 for playback...

However, with all these "so-called" 320kpbs mp3s running around... most of them are not even properly ripped or attempted to take 120kpbs and upgrade just for the 320kpbs label..

However, you are guys are like me.. and usually try to search 320kpbs mp3s...

50/50 chances that you will be finding a, "good enough" sound quality from that source.

I know that in a automobile... there is a bunch of unwanted, unmitigated noise from outside interference... however... when we are spending a couple hundred bucks or so to upgrade our stereo system... there needs to be a easier and better source than..........

converting all these **** tracks to get a "good enough" quality song to play in your 30minute commute to work or whatever.... Most of the time we're spending more time encoding this, decoding that, burning this, ripping that... I swear it sometimes does defeat the purpose of going all this trouble to find respectable sound quality and control....

While I do understand most of you guys are young... And I understand you want 3 12" subs blasting 1000watts out of your car's rear end... but there are some of us folks who like a well rounded system pushing nice highs to compliment the modest bass levels....

I guess we are in a car audio era where even searching for "good enough" is difficult.

Cliffs:

The car suсks as an environment for the best possible audiophile experience and quality MP3s are "good enough" for a car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's "good enough" is usually the standard for music quality...Most "good enough" quality is a cd ripped into mp3 for playback...

However, with all these "so-called" 320kpbs mp3s running around... most of them are not even properly ripped or attempted to take 120kpbs and upgrade just for the 320kpbs label..

However, you are guys are like me.. and usually try to search 320kpbs mp3s...

50/50 chances that you will be finding a, "good enough" sound quality from that source.

I know that in a automobile... there is a bunch of unwanted, unmitigated noise from outside interference... however... when we are spending a couple hundred bucks or so to upgrade our stereo system... there needs to be a easier and better source than..........

converting all these **** tracks to get a "good enough" quality song to play in your 30minute commute to work or whatever.... Most of the time we're spending more time encoding this, decoding that, burning this, ripping that... I swear it sometimes does defeat the purpose of going all this trouble to find respectable sound quality and control....

While I do understand most of you guys are young... And I understand you want 4 18" subs blasting 18,000watts out of your car's rear end... but there are some of us folks who like a well rounded system pushing nice highs to compliment the modest bass levels....

I guess we are in a car audio era where even searching for "good enough" is difficult.
Fixd

I use actual cd's, but I don't have a ton of stuff that I listen. I'm perfect happy switching from Them Crooked Vultures to Zeppelin's Greatest Hits to DSOTM...never gets old. I throw in some other stuff at times but that's what I listen to 90%+ of the time.

Good topic OP....but after a lil reading i see you hold yourself to higher standards.....and "Elitists" some would say....i say it sounds fine....but who needs SQ @ 150

+ db anyway though?

Good topic OP....but after a lil reading i see you hold yourself to higher standards.....and "Elitists" some would say....i say it sounds fine....but who needs SQ @ 150+ db anyway though?
I needs it for my 120db. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.