more watts, louder subs?

vegaskid226
10+ year member

fl
ok i have 2 12s each getting half there rms power. they get loud but here is my question. when i had a sealed box i used to be able to hear a woofer distort. what i mean is it would get loud enough to hear it start to sound shitty. not the woofers i have now, just in gereral. now i have a ported box, the woofers seem to get to a point where they dont have that distorted shitty sound, but at high voulme just dont get any louder. even after a few cranks on the voulme knob. they just kinda stay at that same voulme. my question is if i gave them there full rms wattage, would this help out? or am i just pushing them to the max now? if anyone can understand wtf i am trying to say please let me know . thanks

Well what is the RMS of the woofers? What amp(s) are you using? What is the freq youre tuning to? It could be that you have your gains set off where the woofers are already reaching full power, but somehow not clipping. It could be a few other things too.

More power will usually only get you so much before power compression kicks in...there's a point of diminishing returns for it.
x2.

Sounds like you are simply reaching a point at which the added power isn't giving you any audible increases......which will happen. Either that or you are maxing out your amp, and the extra clicks on the knob isn't resulting in any additional power output.

And, as was mentioned, your subs don't need their RMS power to reach full potential

the amp is a hifoncszx7500 runnig 500x2 @2ohms the rms of the woofer is 1000. i think i am maxing out the amp. but how can i tell if i am doing that or maxing out the subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.