More subs need drop in recones like the HCCA

Participant count
  • Participant list

JoeK
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ringtown, PA
By dropins i mean no glue required, just drop it in and screw it into place. This is the most genius invention to subwoofers ive ever seen, why dont more people do it?

AFAIK only HCCAs do it, can recone it in about 2 minutes.. availability of recones is a different topic though

offtopic: new HCCAs coming in 2013

the cerwin vega strokers do it also . think the recones are more expensive that way
AFAIK HCCA 15 recones are $150, thats not much more than others, a recone for my BL is $125

edit: $230, nevermind :x

kicker solo x's do it too. it's so convenient.
That it is. If i could fit an HCCA 15 in my car i would just have recones chilling in my spare parts box and just swap it out in less than 5 minutes

kicker was the oldest i remember, but you still need extra components to glue the softparts to, so they have something that you can bolt down without specific unit allignment. all of the basket and motor assemblies need to be nearly identical allignment, or have real loose tolerances(big gap) for it to work. so, either way you sacrifice for more unit build cost, or cut that down a tad by sacrificing performanc/efficiency. i think more builders would rather slide a jig in it and glue, which is easier to do with man, or machine. if you want to see more unnecessarily higher priced subs, or more lower performing subs that aren't as affordable, then it would be the idea to play with on a bigger scale. i, personally don't see the sales to justify it being more common.

boston has them all one upped with the replaceable voice coil no need to change the whole cone just the coil so it was easy to carry a couple different config's with you and the G5 was nice except the kapton coil former, I didn't care for that.

boston has them all one upped with the replaceable voice coil no need to change the whole cone just the coil so it was easy to carry a couple different config's with you and the G5 was nice except the kapton coil former, I didn't care for that.
that's very cool, i never knew about that. honestly, recones scare me. i've never done one but at $100+, it's kind of an expensive mistake to make. i want to try a recone sometime but idk. i had a solo x before and i liked how i could just remove the cone and, if needed, replace it with another within seconds. i know it's probably not the most accurate way to recone but it was super easy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.