Mixed ohm loads

Participant count
  • Participant list

psyrex
10+ year member

What happens when I put a 2 ohm load on one channel and 4 ohm load on another of the same amp?

Hi, this is my first attempt at putting an amplifier into a car, but I have done a few HT setups. I have a car with 8 stock speakers / speaker locations. I do intend to eventually change out the stock speakers (I like the Infinity Kappas), but the location points and size will be the same. There are 4 at each side of the car:

- 1.5" tweeter (4 ohm) at the A pillar

- 6.5" (4 ohm) on the door

- 3" (4 ohm) and

- 6x9 (2 ohm) on the rear deck.

I have 6 discrete channels of audio that I want piped to them into a 5.1 type setup. I do not listen to audio with enormous amounts of bass nor do I intend to. Clarity is far more important to me than volume or bass. I will to do the following:

- Tie the 1.5s together as Center channel (2 or 8 ohm combined)

- Use the 6.5s as FL and FR (4 ohm each)

- Use the 3" as RL and RR (4 ohm each)

- Tie the 6x9s on the sub channel (4 ohm combined)

I'm interested in a 5 or 6 channel amp, but I'm not interested in those amps that have 4 channels with A/B topology and 1 or 2 channels at D topology since I have 5 channels I want on A/B. Something like the JL Audio e6450 sounds very appealing to me. 45w RMS on the channels should be fine for me since my stock 15-20w RMS gets plenty loud for my tastes. If I eventually go with a sub, I'll tie in the 6x9s as rear channels and get another amp just for the sub.

If you guys see anything wrong with the above, please let me know.

Anyways, the question. I've been searching for over a month now on various forums, and I haven't found an answer to this:

What happens when I put a 2 ohm load on one channel and 4 ohm load on another of the same amp? Assuming the amp is both 2- and 4- ohm stable, of course.

I'd like to know the implications of it (damage to amp, volume differences, etc) so I can decide if I'm willing to suffer the compromise or spring for more amps (like two 4 channels or something). If the difference is merely volume/attenuation differences, can I simply adjust the input volume (I have the ability to control that individually) so it matches the rest?

I know this is a long post. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I hope someone reads it.

-psyrex

there should not be any problem. as long as you stay widthin the limits of the amp.

they are seperate channels and thats exactly how they work, seperate. that how you byamp a system.

youre welcome,

as far as doing the - Tie the 1.5s together as Center channel (2 or 8 ohm combined)

i dont think tweeters make for a good center channel, i think you should get a two way crossover and pair them tweeters with the 6.5 to make them part of the F/L and F/R channels for a fuller frequency responce and better sound quality. if you want a center channel go with ether a full range speaker a coaxial speaker or the same as in the doors a 6.5" and a tweeter on a crossover.

i dont see a problem with using a pair of 6x9 as subs i have seen it done. but care full selection of speaker is sugested if you want clean bass and not distortion, specialy if going infinit baffle. you can always use insted of 6x9 the EU-700 from ed theyre very enexpencive and get the job done extreamly well, and they should fit in the 6x9 mounting location with little modifications.

Well, a center channel doesn't need to operate on a full range of frequencies so I thought the tweeters might be up to the task. I understand what you mean, though, and sound quality probably will suffer. Thank you for reading through the long post and offering your insight. I probably need to go back to the drawing board and make some modifications. I'll look into the EU-700 as you suggested (though at first glance it might not fit because of the trunk opening mechanisms).

Thanks,

-psyrex

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.