Minor Emergency, little help please ;D

put on a rubber glove - apply a drop of resin hardner to your finger tip - and get inside that box and rub it all around.. repeat with 3 or 4 drops or until you can get the hardner to apply to all over the areas that did not cure - then apply hot air - heat gun or regular hair dryer blowing at the inside of the box to make hot and finish the cure...
its probably flexible because your glass inside is not cured. once that sets up - another 2 or 3 layers should be nice and strong. - if your scared it will flex still - then add a few small pieces of wood or a paint stirrer stick in there and glass over that to the inside to trap it between layers and be a support beam.

actually im suprised - as i did a layer of heavy fleece and resin and it cured hard as a rock with just the 1 layer of fleece.
Wait, so I put resin on my finger instead of hardener?

make more resin but use more hardner and go over the area again. make sure the unused resin sets up in the cup you are using. if that cup is hard then the resin you just applied is hard. if you do not mix well then that can be an issue as well. i always use paint sticks to mix my resin and hardner. mix for 1-2 min to ensure its all mixed together. use more hardner if needed to cure faster. it will dry to the touch faster but the resin still needs 24 hrs for complete cure.

make more resin but use more hardner and go over the area again. make sure the unused resin sets up in the cup you are using. if that cup is hard then the resin you just applied is hard. if you do not mix well then that can be an issue as well. i always use paint sticks to mix my resin and hardner. mix for 1-2 min to ensure its all mixed together. use more hardner if needed to cure faster. it will dry to the touch faster but the resin still needs 24 hrs for complete cure.
Ok. Should I add more fiberglass mat? I have a ton extra.

And that will fix the flex?

what i would do would be to do it in one shot. coat the part with a little resin so the glass mat sticks to it. then use the rest of the resin to soak it. use a 2" chip brush to spread the resin. do not use the brush to mix the resin/hardner... do not be afraid to go farther than needed but make sure you are covering in the correct areas. make sure you use enough hardner. when done try to leave in direct sunlight as the uv rays/heat help activate the dry/cure process. basically, i use three tubes of the hardner to every gallon of figerglass i use. every gallon normally comes with one. i use about 1/4-1/3 of the tube for 30-32oz of resin. thats just me. super hot and not a lot of work time but it gets the job done....if that does not work.......send it to me and ill fix it for $50...shipping on you...

what i would do would be to do it in one shot. coat the part with a little resin so the glass mat sticks to it. then use the rest of the resin to soak it. use a 2" chip brush to spread the resin. do not use the brush to mix the resin/hardner... do not be afraid to go farther than needed but make sure you are covering in the correct areas. make sure you use enough hardner. when done try to leave in direct sunlight as the uv rays/heat help activate the dry/cure process. basically, i use three tubes of the hardner to every gallon of figerglass i use. every gallon normally comes with one. i use about 1/4-1/3 of the tube for 30-32oz of resin. thats just me. super hot and not a lot of work time but it gets the job done....if that does not work.......send it to me and ill fix it for $50...shipping on you...
Ok, started working about an hour ago but did almost exactly what you said but in 2 steps ( it began turning into a gel the first time). I went and soak the whole piece in resin and the bottle I used is hard now. Then right after that, I went and laid down 1 layer of Fiberglass cloth over the whole piece and soaked it. Used a ton of resin in the process but it should be done.

sweet. as long as it gelled in the container and hot hard then you are good. when not using enough hardner, it will harden but will take days if not weeks some times. mixing hotter will help with the older mixture by adding heat. should be a fix. next time try to use the glass mat not the cloth. try to use the kitty hair type mat as it is stronger when layered. mat is rough looking like plywood pattern....cloth looks smooth like carbon fiberish pattern.

sweet. as long as it gelled in the container and hot hard then you are good. when not using enough hardner, it will harden but will take days if not weeks some times. mixing hotter will help with the older mixture by adding heat. should be a fix. next time try to use the glass mat not the cloth. try to use the kitty hair type mat as it is stronger when layered. mat is rough looking like plywood pattern....cloth looks smooth like carbon fiberish pattern.
I did originally, this box has 2 layers of mat ( the choppy kind), 1 layer of cloth, and a gallon of resin. If it aint hard now, dont know if it will ever be. Should be darn near bullet proof at this point.

thats a crazy amount of mat, cloth and resin. gallon could do that entire box maybe twice...haha as long as it works. next time, use more hardner and soak the material until it comes out the other side.. fleece is great just do not pull it to thin.

thats a crazy amount of mat, cloth and resin. gallon could do that entire box maybe twice...haha as long as it works. next time, use more hardner and soak the material until it comes out the other side.. fleece is great just do not pull it to thin.
Well, went out side this morning tp check it out. Some places are hard as a rock, other places are sit saggy. No idea why.

Just a thought but adding more wet resin and mat over stuff that is already not cured right will only lead to even more soggy spots. I always tried to make sure my first layer was mostly dry (tacky was alright) before adding another layer. It may be that you have messed with it enough that the whole thing is a loss. Start over?

Just a thought but adding more wet resin and mat over stuff that is already not cured right will only lead to even more soggy spots. I always tried to make sure my first layer was mostly dry (tacky was alright) before adding another layer. It may be that you have messed with it enough that the whole thing is a loss. Start over?
Nah, this box is not worth starting over to me. The guy messed up on it by shoving poly fill all in. That separated the layers I think.

The fabric is not sticking to fiberglass at all. I think its cause he played the box when the resin wasnt fully cured and it separated. Does Polyfill affect how the fiberglass sticks?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.