Minimalist audio setup - advice wanted

swallow

Hi - new to this forum. I'm currently rebuilding/restoring a 1972 Alfa Gtv2000. From the factory, there was no radio/stereo. A previous owner had fitted a head unit ('70s style) and butchered the dash in the process...

I have just refinished the dash back to how it rolled out of the factory. I would like to have sounds in this car, but with no audio gear visible (aside from speakers), so here are my thoughts, backed up by zero in car audio expertise - that's why I'm here....

The only sign of having car audio in the car that I want is ONE knob on the dash - controlling on/off and volume.

An aux-in jack/lead also hidden somewhere as I only want to have music from my phone (android, not iPhone)

Four speakers

Is there some kind of amplifier that could facilitate this?

Is there any way of controlling on/off and volume from a knob that is wired to an amp?

Not after heart stopping volume but just the ability to crank it up a bit..

Amp would need to be hidden under dashboard as there isn't really anywhere else to hide things in this car...so the smaller the better

Looking forward to hearing your ideas, Tom

Do you have a spot to install actual radio with an aux input somewhere in front of car?glove box or center console?because I think you'll still need the reciever.as for a single knob I'm sure you can find one to do what you want to do to some degree but I don't know exactly.

Ms8. Has a aux input. can power speakers with it and can be totally hidden.
b003kn2tq2group.jpg

There are a few options for extremely small 2 channel amps that will produce quite a bit of power to drive a nice pair of speakers (just a pair, right?)

This for example: Soundstream PN2.350D Picasso Nano 350W 2-Channel Class D Amplifier

Footprint is 4.75" x 5.5" and only 2" high.

Good for around 100x2.

Aux-in would be easy. There's a variety of panel mount 3.5mm jacks available for $10 or less. You'd just have to make the necessary connections to get from there to the amp with rca cables.

The power/volume knob is the one I'm having trouble with.

There are plenty of power switches, and plenty of level controls, but I haven't been able to find one that will provide a power on as well as level.

I'm sure it's out there though.

That soundstream amp would power four 4 ohm speakers w/o a problem.

Generally, for 4 speakers you'd be looking for a 4 channel amp, giving you the ability to fade front/rear, but if you're using a phone as the source you won't have separate f/r signal anyway so a 2 ch will work fine -- you'll just wire the speakers parallel.

There are smaller amps, but if you go much smaller than that the amount of power is so low it would barely be capable of driving a pair of ~50w speakers.

The two channel volume control appears to be a little more complex than I thought it would.

One possible solution may be to use an amp with a remote volume (the PN2.350d has one) and find switched power wire somewhere to turn the amp on when the ignition is on. That would leave you the one knob and the on-off would be automatic.

Look at the ct sounds 4ch amps they have a remote gain knob that has on off functions. Then use a aux to rca adapter for you amp to phone connection. Badda bing badda boom. Kicker amps also have a signal sense turn on feature, this turns the amp on when a signal is sensed thru the rcas. No knob on dash but your phone has a volune si you should be good.

Sorry to seem a Luddite but could you link me to the ct sounds product you are referring to?

Also, the remote gain on/off knob you mention, does this control volume? As is probably already very obvious, this is not my field of expertise...,

The gain knob could be used in this case. You would not want to drive the amp into clipping. The knob includes a clip light so no worries there. Let me find you a link.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.