Might need to replace Focal PS165 components, suggestions?

gamehawk55
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys,

So I got some Focal PS165 components (off eBay) a couple months ago. Theres a possibility they may be fakes but they certainly don't look or sound like it. Anyways today I noticed a rattle coming from the right side woofer when it was playing a little bass heavier stuff. Took the speaker out after work and it would seem that the rattle was being caused by the glue holding the cone to the spider was coming apart slightly.

Anyways I'm going to see if there are any local shops around that would be able to fix this issue, but if not I may need to replace them and I'm not really sure what to go with. The replacements have to sound just as good if not better than the current ones. And if these truly were genuine Focal speakers then that probably wont be too cheap.

I can't find many speakers comparisons to the PS165's. A couple sets that I have looked at so far that got good reviews are the

Polk MM6501

Hertz HSK165XL

I know the Hertz set would most likely be even better than my Focal's, but not sure if I really wanna pay the $500 price tag on em lol. The polks are less than half the price of the Hertz set but would they sound as good as the Focal's? This is assuming the Focal's are genuine.

Amp that's running them is an AQ 200.2, so plenty of power for pretty much anything.

And no the Focal's aren't blown, just loose glue on the right speaker.

I'm not too worried about the price of the replacements as I only ended up paying like $100 for the Focal's after accusing the seller they were fake cuz there was no serial number on them. But would still like to keep the costs down if at all possible.

i like silicone for speaker repairs. it's clear and flexible.

i put it in a small medicine syringe (like for kids) that way i can dispense in precise locations.

The HSK165XL is much nicer than the others listed. The new ESK is a step up from the older version and closer in performance and price to your other options.

i like silicone for speaker repairs. it's clear and flexible.
i put it in a small medicine syringe (like for kids) that way i can dispense in precise locations.

The HSK165XL is much nicer than the others listed. The new ESK is a step up from the older version and closer in performance and price to your other options.
What kind of silicone do you suggest? And how difficult would it be to properly seal up the gap? It doesn't really look like glue per se. More like a dark hard epoxy resin. I would definitely rather repair the speaker than replace since I know its not blown. And the other speakers have a tad too deep a mounting depth for my car and would require an MDF spacer ring or something similar to give my window clearance to roll down all the way.

id take a look at ether PHD FB6.1 pro's or one of the cdt sets that a few sponsors have.

i have the PHD's and loving the sound. i however haven't really had much other to compare them to then the massive audio ck6v but for the price i paid id get them agein

id take a look at ether PHD FB6.1 pro's or one of the cdt sets that a few sponsors have.
i have the PHD's and loving the sound. i however haven't really had much other to compare them to then the massive audio ck6v but for the price i paid id get them agein
I have these too. Quality sound.

I heard 300 for a set.

Here's a review.

Props to PHD

I found a local shop that can reglue my speaker for pretty cheap so I'm going to go that route. But thanks for the suggestions on other speakers for the future. Those PHD's sound promising. I love my focals though. HUGE improvement over the stock speakers. A lot of people seem to say their tweeters are a little harsh. They were when I first played them on a class AB audison amp. But since break in and switching them to a full range class D they sound even better. I tend to EQ the 1.5khz-2khz curve down a bit as well as 12khz and these speakers are awesome. Nice detail in the music and can play a lot lower than the 60hz

Focal rates the speakers for. I can even play them down below 40hz and they put out an impressive amount of bass for 6.5s

So got a local shop to put a new bead of glue on the spider tonight and the speaker is good as new, if not better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Best part was that the particular guy who fixed my speaker is apparently the go to guy of the guy that bought my JL W7 off me, so he didn't even charge me for the repair //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif BONUS

So got a local shop to put a new bead of glue on the spider tonight and the speaker is good as new, if not better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Best part was that the particular guy who fixed my speaker is apparently the go to guy of the guy that bought my JL W7 off me, so he didn't even charge me for the repair //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif BONUS

EDIT: Sorry double post forum screwed up and posted it twice on me. Only pressed the button once.

I'd use RC car tire glue. It's flexible CA. Any hobby store should have it. I'd also lightly abrade the cone with steel wool or scotch brite to make sure you get a good bond.

If that glue will hold tires on my 70mph RC car it should be great on a surround repair.

Edit: I see you got it fixed!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.