Might need a new 4 channel amp...

AllenH427
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well I thought I had blown type-r 6x9s but it turns out that 1 channel on the amp is making the mid sound blown, because it did it to 2 new ones I just got, and even the for sure "good" one that I've had for over a year when I switched it to that channel. So I put all 4 type-r 6x9s on a channel I knew was good for sure and they all sound fine. I'll check the RCA cable, the headunit, and the wire, but I might as well start looking for a new 4 channel. I currently have the Alpine MRP-F550.

$200-$270 budget

80-100watts RMS @ 4 ohms

I was looking at:

Audioque 4x90 (I have the AQ 1200D for my subs)

Kenwood eXcelon x600F

JL G4500

Alpine MRP-F600 (Wouldnt mind it at all since I've been happy with the F550)

Soundstream TX4.560

Those all fit within my budget and power range so I guess I'm asking which of those would probably have the best sound quality, and if you have any other recommendations, I'm open. If it turns out my amp has a bad channel after some more testing, I've had my eyes set between the AQ and the Alpine.

Link? And my comps are only rated at I think 65 RMS, that's starting to get shady.

Found it, any reviews on the Crescendo amp?

I have an Arc Audio FD4150 for sale for $200 shipped. Does 80X4 at 4ohms. PM me if you're interested. You won't find a much better quality 4 channel FS for the price.

The AQ4x90 would be my choice only because it'll match your AQ1200D. If you don't care about matching, the Crescendo 1000C4 is very popular right now, as is the MB Quart DSC4125 (~$150 now). The 4125 does 125 x 4 @ 4ohms.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as far as overpowering the speakers goes.

Well does everyone else think the problem is the amp?

All four 6x9s I plugged into (channel 3) had the mids popping and it sounded like they were blown, but after that and I plugged them into channel 4, they sounded good again. The tweeters sound fine, but the mids pop.

Also, I only turn my headunit up to around 40, so:

0-~17, mids sound fine

~18-29, mids pop

~29-40, mids sound fine again

Could it be the headunit? Thats kind of shady, but its the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB. Ill switch the RCA channels tomorrow and see how it all sounds.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.