Might be a stupid question but...crossover setting on my 4 channel?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Crossovers set a cut-off point in frequencies, high pass filter blocks out everything below where you set your crossover frequency. For example you use high pass and set it at 100hz it will play everything above 100hz and nothing below, lowpass is the opposite. Set your lowpass at 100hz and it will play everything below and nothing above. Hope this helps you a bit.

Crossovers set a cut-off point in frequencies, high pass filter blocks out everything below where you set your crossover frequency. For example you use high pass and set it at 100hz it will play everything above 100hz and nothing below, lowpass is the opposite. Set your lowpass at 100hz and it will play everything below and nothing above. Hope this helps you a bit.
That's the right general idea, though not completely true. Crossovers are not complete/sudden cutoffs. It's a gradual cut off, depends on the crossover and you'll need to look it up for your amp - in the manual. Set the HPF around 100Hz and play around with it until you get the sound that you like. Is this an amp only for your mids/highs? If so, set both x-overs around 100Hz and then change it a bit up or down - see what sounds good to you.

For example, if you set it at 100Hz, there will be a gradual cutoff below that frequency? How gradual? Depends on the crossovers slope. Yours is probably a 12db/octave slope, which is good. The higher the number, the more sudden the cut off is. Crossover settings vary depending on the speakers you're running and your own personal taste.

That's the right general idea, though not completely true. Crossovers are not complete/sudden cutoffs. It's a gradual cut off, depends on the crossover and you'll need to look it up for your amp - in the manual. Set the HPF around 100Hz and play around with it until you get the sound that you like. Is this an amp only for your mids/highs? If so, set both x-overs around 100Hz and then change it a bit up or down - see what sounds good to you.
For example, if you set it at 100Hz, there will be a gradual cutoff below that frequency? How gradual? Depends on the crossovers slope. Yours is probably a 12db/octave slope, which is good. The higher the number, the more sudden the cut off is. Crossover settings vary depending on the speakers you're running and your own personal taste.
The picture i provided is my exact amp. Currently i have the filter set to off. should I set the cross over @ 100hz and slide the switch to HP?

edit: yes I have subs for the low end

Sorry, see it now. Depending on the speaker/application/taste, the HP x-over frequency generally ranges from 80Hz to 125Hz. So, yes, set it to HP and then to 100Hz. Play some songs you're familiar with and adjust the crossover frequencies until it sounds right to you. This is also somewhat dependent on your subs. If you set the LPF for the subs higher, you may also want to adjust the HPF for the highs/mids higher to avoid "warm" spots.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.