Midbass divers under front seat?

Participant count
  • Participant list

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
I'm still exploring options for putting a 2 or 3 way plus sub setup in my 1972 chevelle and I've read people putting midbass drivers under their front seats with success so I'd like to know if this is an option for me.

I'm thinking If I have enough room under my front bench seat I could build a couple enclosures for midbass drivers and have them play up to the 250-300 hertz range. Is that correct? If so, could I put the midrange drivers in kick panels, or I also have stock locations on either side of my dash for at least 4" mids but they would be reflecting of my front windshield, so what would be better there or in the kicks? For my tweets I could put them up in the a pillars or if I put the mids in my kicks I could use the dash locations for my tweets. What do you guys think is the best l9cation for each driver in a 3 way with the locations I have available?

id go simple... good set of 2 way comps in the front doors, sub in the trunk and a couple amps

ps, nice car

Go kicks for tweets and mids, doors for midbass. Or for a simpler setup, like nauc said, mids and tweets in the doors and call it a day.

Midbass under the seat sounds like a horrible idea. Midbass is directional, you need to at least attempt to align it with the rest of the front stage speakers.

And I agree, nice car. I have a 66.

Ok. I asked because it looks like BMW have been putting 8's under the front seats for their midbass for years and members of this forum have also done it with good results. So is there no truth to midbass being omnidirectional below say 250 Hertz? I thought once you get into higher frequencies is when it becomes more directional. Im not looking for an argument I just want to know what im missing.

I just didn't feel like cutting up my doors for speakers hence me looking for other options.

Last edited:
Distortion levels affect it, but generally 100-120hz in a vehicle is where most people start to be able to detect localization.

If midbass up to 250 hz was omni directional, I would think those people with midbass under their seats would have just turned the LPF on their subs up to 250 hz and avoided the under seat speaker install altogether.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.