Mid enclosures

Participant count
  • Participant list
Designing enclosures for mid-woofers is the same as designing enclosures for sub-woofers. Unfortunately most of the time space is an issue (especially in kick panels) and the woofers never end up getting enough airspace. Mid-woofers can be enclosed in ported or sealed enclosures just like subs, and this will get you different performance and rolloff slopes for integration with the substage. A properly designed ported box can really enhance the midbass response of the woofer which everyone here complains about. Unfortunately most mids end up in leaky underdamped "enclosures" in the kick panels which are too small. The leakiness isn't necessarily bad, however; if it is properly damped it can act as aperiodic damping and this ends up being better in many cases than sealing the mid-woofer off completely. If the sealed enclosure is too small you end up losing most of the low end output (ie. the midbass) even though you might see a boost in the upper midbass/lower midrange. So it may not be a good idea to seal your mid completely unless it is designed to work well in a really small sealed box.

What he said, check to see if your mid actually need an enclosure. I had mine in an enclosure and the midbass ******. Put it in the doors and deadened everything and i'm a lot happier //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What he said, check to see if your mid actually need an enclosure. I had mine in an enclosure and the midbass ******. Put it in the doors and deadened everything and i'm a lot happier //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
That's the thing-- I looked everywhere and I can't figure out any place where it gives me a rough estimate of a good amount of air space.

I'm thinking about buying a set of Hertz HSK 165 comps. $330 shipped [i think that's a good deal. Most of the places I saw it was in Europe, and was selling for 222 BP [british Pounds], which is roughly $444 USD. If anything, I'd be paying retail.

But, I can't find any good info on enclosure types or if they're even necessary.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.