Metal-music, whats the recipe..

Laggie

Im a crazy swede, so sorry for the possibly bad english..

How do you guys succeed with your systems which plays metal, in particullary the front system?

The problem for me in all my installs is that either the sound gets too bright when I play insainly loud or it gets "blurry" (right word?).

With the different 2-way systems i´ve had (6,5") they all tend to mix everything in komplex metal so you have to search for the singer "behind" the bass and guitarrs.

The 3-way systems have been better in that case because 1: You can lift the vocals up on the dashboard 2: The long excursions on the mid tend to blurr the midrange in 2-way. that problem is eliminated in 3-way.

BUT in all the 3-way i´ve tested the effect have been too good, the vocals have been great but everything just gets too bright, im missing the "action" in the system which makes my smile go XL:)

So, how do your metal-system look? 2 or 3-way? Element placement, door, kick, dashboard, a-pillar?

Is it worth trying to place 8" mid in the doors? Do they just play lower in frequens and blurr things up or do they bring the cone-area to get the "action"?

I run a 2-way with door mounted mids and A-pillar highs and I love it.

With the problem you describe, it sounds like some custom kick panel enclosures for the mids would help you out a lot.

Do you have a price range?

OT: Opeth and In flames= //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bowdown.gif.b85b23b82970bd22fb6b549c3392f016.gif

Pricerange, hm for a front system thats about 400$ maybe. Cheaper doesn´t hurt..

I've built custom doors, kicks, boxes and so on.. don´t get me wrong, my friends thinks it sounds great but I know it can get better..

CDT, The thought has crossed my mind, what do you think about their upstage-kit? The extra tweeters and filters. The guy who helped build the speakers is swede..:)

DLS, i think they sound good but boring.. too correct maybee?:) OT: Swedish brand..

OT: In Flames kicks some seroius as, seen em live? Scandinavia has great metalbands!

Laggie....Can you audition some Rainbow Profi 3ways or some Dynaudio 360's in Sweeden?

I agree with Squeek, you dont NEED 3 ways to achieve what you are looking for...but if you have placement in mind for them go for it.

Dynaudio is represented but not for audition. But their a bit pricy..

I will totaly rebuild my doors with angled speakers. The setup will be like in a homespeaker with the 3 or 2 speakers on top of eachother in the front of the door. I´ll rather have a soundstage that sticks together then a soundstage who is split up..

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I don't know guys, in my experience I've noticed that no matter what components, head unit, or amps you have it doesn't really make a difference with heavy metal music played loudly. To me, once the music gets to a certain loudness your ears can no longer notice ANY details, especially with heavy metal music. At lower volumes is a completely different story. Just my opinion though, other opinions may vary, void where prohibited. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Dynaudio is represented but not for audition. But their a bit pricy..
I will totaly rebuild my doors with angled speakers. The setup will be like in a homespeaker with the 3 or 2 speakers on top of eachother in the front of the door. I´ll rather have a soundstage that sticks together then a soundstage who is split up..
yeah...after speaking with a few European contacts it appears you guys pay a lil' more for those names than we do in the states. It sounds to me like you have a plan as far as your doors go. If the Dyn's appear to be too pricey- Rainbow has a vast assortment of 3way sets on difference budgets

Soundline SLC 365's, or SLC 365 w/SLC Kickbass Mid

Profi CS 365, or CS 365 Profi w/ Profi Kickbass Mid

Profi Vanadium CS365, or w/Profi Kickbass Mid

The Kickbass option is Rainbows high efficiency mid. I 'think' you have an option as well for using Rainbow's 6.5" Phase Plug midbass driver as well.

Standard 2way sets can be mated to an 'Upgrade Set CS265/365 P3 Kickbass' which though a passive xover that comes with the upgrade you add a 165pro 6.5" midbass to your existing 2 way set- making it a dual 6.5" woofer system in which the Kickbass mid and the mid from the 2way set play simultaniusly midbass 80-220hz with the Kickbass making a smooth rolloff at 220hz and creating a 6db increase in those mid frequency range. This is the avenue I chose, I'm very content with the results.

You have alot of options.

Whats the diffrence between the kickbass and the original, the specs says 80-22000hz instead of original 50-22000hz.

The 365 3-way kit looked ok, will cost me about 400$ from germany..

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I don't know guys, in my experience I've noticed that no matter what components, head unit, or amps you have it doesn't really make a difference with heavy metal music played loudly. To me, once the music gets to a certain loudness your ears can no longer notice ANY details, especially with heavy metal music. At lower volumes is a completely different story. Just my opinion though, other opinions may vary, void where prohibited. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Yes I understand your point and I agree to some extent, but mostly when I make changes I´m getting closer and closer so I´m confident i´ll succed. Just trying to get a headstart by asking on forums for exampel..

Whats the diffrence between the kickbass and the original, the specs says 80-22000hz instead of original 50-22000hz.
The 365 3-way kit looked ok, will cost me about 400$ from germany..
The kickbass set is recommended by Rainbow to be crossed over at 80hz part of a system that has a dedicated subwoofer- i dont dare play them lower- all i know is that their impact is very noteworthy 80hz and up

these are how my kickbass mids set looks like- the new ones may be cosmetically different

466763_189_full.jpg

466763_192_full.jpg

466763_191_full.jpg

Yes I understand your point and I agree to some extent, but mostly when I make changes I´m getting closer and closer so I´m confident i´ll succed. Just trying to get a headstart by asking on forums for exampel..
Don't get me wrong man I'm all for the search for the best possible sound. I was just more or less giving my opinion on what the human ear goes through while listening to music at high volume levels. The louder the music, the less detail is heard because your ears become fatigued very quickly at these levels. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.