Question About Amps For Speakers

Harrison486
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
New Jersey
Hey guys! Whats going on?

I currently drive a 1995 Saturn SC2. All 4 factory speakers have been replaced with aftermarket infinities, I believe they are just the reference 6.5 ones. I am soon going to be installing a sub also.

I have heard that it is good to amp the speakers of a car. However, I am a little confused. My headunit says that it puts out 50w x 4, and the speakers are rated at around 60 rms, so isn't the power my head unit puts out fine? What advantages would I have to getting a seperate amp...

Sorry if I am retarded...

That 50w x 4 rating is Max power, NOT RMS power. Realistically, it probably has 10w to 12w RMS power output.

So, now you can see where the big difference is between a true 50w x 4 external amplifier, and the "50w x 4" amplifier in your headunit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Okay...

Next questions...

Should I get somethign that is 50w x 4 RMS or do I really only need to amp the front 2 speakers?

Also, I know how to go about wiring my new amp and sub and all. How would all of the wiring change if I were to install a amp for my speakers?

Okay...
Next questions...

Should I get somethign that is 50w x 4 RMS or do I really only need to amp the front 2 speakers?

Also, I know how to go about wiring my new amp and sub and all. How would all of the wiring change if I were to install a amp for my speakers?
Depends on your preference on rear fill. Most will tell you to ditch it, or leave the rears on head unit power only. If you amp the speakers, youll just run speaker wire from the speaker to the amp, and disconnect the wire that delivers power from the head unit. Im sure someone else can explain it better, but thats basically all you need to do.

I would grab a 75x4 watts RMS amp,like the MTX 564 or an eD Nine.4 (185 shipped,with code)

avoid the MTX roadthunder models plain junk.........

them infinitys,which I have used in the past work good with about 60-75w

1 Rockford Fosgate Power T8004 (50W x 4 Car Amplifier)= $335 Shipped50 W x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS

100 W x 4 @ 2 Ohms RMS

200 W x 4 @ 1 Ohms RMS

200 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS

400 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms Bridged RMS

Total Watts:800

hit me up with a pm or email me if your interested

if im not mistaken this kind of stuff is supposed to stay in the classifieds, i have seen you post this too many times when other people did not ask to buy your stuff.

and this guy is not looking for this kind of equipment.

so please stop posting this stuff outside of the classifieds.

and to harrison, i wouldnt suggest that RT202 amp.

we had 2 of them in my mom's car, 1 died completely and 1 started to cut out intermittently. (note that this was about 2 years after they were installed but still)

~Magick_Man~

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.