Metal dome tweeter vs soft dome tweeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
As a self proclaimed and verified Old School MB Quart fanboy I have been running their QM 218.61 comps with the titanium dome tweeter for the better part of a decade. I have listened to other tweeters, both the soft and hard dome variety, yet none have had the same impact, sparkle, and life as my beloved Pte-25 titanium tweeters. Yes, they can be overly bright without proper tuning, but that is a very minor obstacle I overcame within 2 weeks of owning this set.

Today, for the first time since I have owned my Quart comps I will be switching to a soft dome tweeter. I am saddened, and slightly disappointed in myself, for I must hang up my fanboy shirt for the last time.

I had the opportunity to grab a set of lightly used Hertz Mille Legend comps without crossovers last week for a damn good price, and today I installed the passenger mid and both tweeters(florida rain stopped the drivers mid install). I left the MB quart crossovers in place and simply swapped drivers without changing a damn thing. the expectation of being disappointed and switching back was scratching at the back of my head waiting to pop out and yell "I told you so!!" . Boy was I (and the little ***** in my head) ******* wrong.

I fully beleive that if you are listening to music, and you want the live experience, your tweeter should be bright. In a live performance cymbals are harsh, snare drums have a sharp snap, and guitars scream. Until I got my QM comps I always felt my setup was lacking that live sparkle and the detail you get from a live performance. Today, I witnessed firsthand that it doesn't matter what the actual **** your tweeters are made of. The 280.3 tweeters from Hertz are soft dome, and boy do they sound amazing. They have every bit of the same level of detail and snap as the Quart tweeters, but now there is a new layer of something. I don't know what it is, couldn't even begin to explain it, there is just something extra. I tried my hardest to find a song that sounded worse with them, Hotel California had more sizzle and shake from the maracas, the pan drums had more pop to them. The guitar from Cemetery Gates assaults you like dimebag is shredding with his nutsack in your face. Hell, even the electronic noises in the opening to Play (K391 is the artist for anyone interested) sounded and felt better. 30 minutes of frantic song-hopping and I was left defeated.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am officially running a set of soft dome tweeters and I ******* love them. I did the install completely in secret today. My wife had no clue I switched speakers. I picked her up from a friend's house after dark and played some random songs. My ******* wife asked me if I did some tuning on the stereo! Guess it's time to build a set of bookshelf speakers with the Quarts. I don't think anyone would offer what I want for them, and it's time for a proper home theater setup in my bedroom.

Matt

I felt the same way when I first heard my silk dome tweeters. I'll never go back
That's the thing, I have tried other silk tweeters and hated them. I guess maybe it boils down to product line. The QM comps I have were top of the line at the time, they got replaced by the (in)famous QSD line. That puts them somewhere around the 1800-2000 dollar range back in the day I believe. I have heard alot of tweeters, but most were from 800-1000 dollar comps. Retail on the Mlk 1650.3 that the 280.3 comes in is 1700 bux. Sometimes you really do need to spend the money to get the performance difference.

The real problem now is the stereo in my new Sorento sounds that much worse... I can't wait for someone to put out a harness so I can put a small system in that thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...