Mercedes GLB sound system upgrade | NEW tech vs OLD tech

Participant count
  • Participant list

PeterTri

CarAudio.com Newbie
Spain
Hello,

I'm getting a new Mercedes GLB as my company car, to use for the next 3 years.

The car has no extras (basic version), and has the basic 110w sound system (6 speakers total - 1 tweeter and 1 woofer on each front door, and 1 woofer/full-range on the back doors).

I want to upgrade the sound quality (with a limited budget (~750USD) since the car is not mine), and three options were presented to me, by the several car audio shops I talked to:

A) Install a DSP amplifier (e.g. MATCH PP-62DSP or M5DSP MK2) and maintain the stock speakers

B) Install a "regular" amplifier (e.g. ESX QM400.4), and change only the front speakers (e.g. Morel Maximum), keeping the back speakers stock - I could also add a simple subwoofer for about ~100USD extra on my budget

C) Change all 6 speakers for a "good" set (e.g. Focal Performance) and maintain the stock amplifier - cheaper option

From what I read, the trend now is people to install DSP amplifiers.
However I feel I would get a better sound quality with option B than from option A.

Since I'm no expert, what should I go with the stock speakers and only a "new tech" DSP amplifier (option A), or put an "old tech" amplifier and new front and subwoofer speakers?

One of the shops gave me an alert about doing this hybrid solution (B), saying that the Mercedes car system would block the sound or event play it very low on the front/amplified speakers (since it would detect this power change has a "short circuit").

What do you think?
Should I go "new tech" or "old tech"? Option C? Or even a D one no one told me about?

PS: I am from Europe, I usually listen to vocals and accoustic/unplugged music (via CarPlay or USB flacs), and I usually drive alone.

I like B, definitely with a small subwoofer. I think pretty much anything factory is going to be poor and you really can do a lot with just a good set of components and a small amp.

DSP is getting pretty advanced and without the ability and willingness to do a lot of other customization and limiting yourself to everything else factory I don't think you'll really get the full value out of that sort of processing power.

Either DSP amp or high quality components + a decent amp should all at least hold good resale value if you want to change your mind later and go a different direction or use them in another vehicle in the future. Just getting an OK set of speakers to replace factory ones limiting to the factory amp seems the worst option either way.

Thank you hispls! great answer/explanation (y)

A lot of people are telling me that the DSP amp will do wonders on stock speakers, but my feeling is that they might be limited on the speaker quality VS a set of good speakers+amp.

It would be great if anyone have done an A-B testing between DSP amp with stock speakers VS good pair of speakers + "regular amp"

Going to option B I will definitely put a subwoofer as you suggested ;)

Any concerns in installing a amp on top of a stock head unit, and keeping the back speakers stock? With all the tech/systems these cars have today I don't know if theres anything the the car audio shop should be aware of.
One of them told me this setup would not work if I did not have an amplifier with AAC.3 compatibility (or something like an AAC.3 plug-in https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/accessories/aac.3)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.