meltdown

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mr_T
10+ year member

Toronto
well I was hooking up chris old memphis 1500d to my sub today and I was trying to get the gains in sink, then all of a sunnden smoke started comeing out of my sub and I starded freaking out so I pulled the rca's out and I still saw smoke so I pulled on the remote wire and yanked it out of the amps then I turned the deck off.

I was sooooo mad I thought I blew it. but both of the VC are working, so does this mean my sub is still good?

I think the smoke you saw was from the glue that holds the vc in place. Depending on how much of that melted will determin how long your sub will last.

well I have melted VC before and when I moved the cone by hand I hurd a grinding or a scarping noise, but when I push on it sounds brand new,

think I just might have melted some of the glue because it doesn't seem nearly as stiff.

It takes a great deal of heat to melt a voice coil especially if its copper. The glue is the first thing to go being that it melts with less heat. If the cone moves freely and the vc didnt come undone the sub should work fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Mr_T

10+ year member
Mr_T
Toronto
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from