Massive CK6X mid-woofer went out, what do?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
Haven't been on here in a while, so bare with me.

I installed a pair of Massive CK6X's yesterday, currently running on head-unit power (Parrot Asteroid single din). I didn't run it to the point of any detectible distortion, so I don't think I would have blown it by sending a clipped signal. Anyway, the coil is rubbing like hell when I push down on the cone. I didn't have a chance to take it out to look at it, but from a visual inspection without the center piece I didn't notice any frying of the coil.

So, I'm taking it my options are as follows.

1. Somehow find somebody selling a single CK6X midwoofer.

2. Replace the two mid-woofers with another similar pair.

My main questions are as follows, in order of importance.

1. What replacement mid-woofers would be most similar to the ones in this set?

2. Where could I possibly find a single replacement mid-woofer for my set, and how much would it probably cost?

3. How did this happen in the first place. I checked all of my connections and they are all solid. (other side's mid-woofer is perfectly fine).

Thanks in advance for the help, I apologize for any lacking knowledge going into this. I haven't fvcked with car audio in a while (got into home audio), and just need to get back up on my feet.

It's much more likely the coil was rubbing before you applied power if everything you say is accurate. It's not a common problem but it happens. If it isn't burnt or broken it's time to contact your authorized Massive Audio retailer.

Not sure how flimsy the basket is. Hold a straight edge to it. You may have warped it screwing it down. I've had that happen on different speakers and bent the basket back and it was useable. If the hole it went into was slightly smaller than its mounting surface it's pretty easy to do

Not sure how flimsy the basket is. Hold a straight edge to it. You may have warped it screwing it down. I've had that happen on different speakers and bent the basket back and it was useable. If the hole it went into was slightly smaller than its mounting surface it's pretty easy to do
It's a cast basket.

Scratch that out. Pull the dust cap and center the voicecoil with shims and refoam it or pull the foam loose and reattach when centered. Or just get a set of daytons, cdt's from helpful trumpet or any decent 6.5 with a frequency range up to where your tweets are crossed over.

I tried to contact Massive directly considering my local Massive dealer doesn't deal them anymore. I still have yet to receive a reply. Then again their website doesn't exactly seem like they keep track of it. I need a way to get a hold of them so I can just buy the driver, since I heavily doubt they'd honor the warranty. (bought like 2 years ago, haven't been installed until recent)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.