Pros an Coms

MakkMar10

Bangin on a Budget
SoCal
I have a 97 Expedition being worked on rite now. An Iv been putting a system together on paper, pricing, comparing, an trying to get what I feel is a solid system. Lately Iv been looking at Pro Audio vs Components, I believe I want 2sets (front an back). It's a family ride an we'l do a lot of movie watching an I "park an play" for our Football team at practice/games during breaks/half-time. So I'm looking to be loud almost competition loud. I'm sure 2comp sets will do but....Pros. I mean, why not be louder rite?

I'm looking at CDT HD's for components or Crescendo PWX for Pro's (Carbon Fiber Look) is there any comparison between these speakers? I hope to pair them with 2 HDS312's on Q2200D.

Pro audio mids are louder than conventional mids but it's also more difficult to get good midbass response from them. They're also a bit more difficult to get sound quality from in a general sense but if you're willing to treat your doors properly, you can achieve good sound from them.

As for the difference between pa tweets and conventional tweets, the former are far too harsh (in my opinion). The only instance where I would use them would be in a build that's strictly built for SPL, because of that harshness. Right now I'm running six 8" PA mids with 4 1" soft dome tweets in a ~150dB build and the soft dome tweets keep up fine. With time alignment and proper deadening, you can have the best of both worlds.

Pro audio mids are louder than conventional mids but it's also more difficult to get good midbass response from them. They're also a bit more difficult to get sound quality from in a general sense but if you're willing to treat your doors properly, you can achieve good sound from them.
As for the difference between pa tweets and conventional tweets, the former are far too harsh (in my opinion). The only instance where I would use them would be in a build that's strictly built for SPL, because of that harshness. Right now I'm running six 8" PA mids with 4 1" soft dome tweets in a ~150dB build and the soft dome tweets keep up fine. With time alignment and proper deadening, you can have the best of both worlds.
Of course I plan to treat doors with a car kit from SQ. Hopefully it's enough 2do both inner panels of doors an back gate. I do plan on silk tweets also, would 4 be to much? Any suggs on tweets an crossovers to go with the PWX 6.5's?

Generally speaking, one pair of tweets per two pair of mids is what works. If you're talking about two pair of tweets and two pair of mids in each of four doors then four tweets is fine but if you're talking about two pair of tweets in front, I would say that's too much. Good tweeters get loud on very little power and if they're aimed properly, they're even louder.

Here's how mine are arranged:

1506953_10202191707494960_110672143225649970_n.jpg

I'm running two tweets to three mids but I'm also running 8" mids so it's equivalent to one tweet per two 6.5s and I have no trouble hearing my tweets. Plus, I get a good sound stage in front.

As for crossovers, Parts Express has a lot of good premade passives but if you're planning to run pa mids, I would recommend running an active system because you have the ability to play with crossover points.

Generally speaking, one pair of tweets per two pair of mids is what works. If you're talking about two pair of tweets and two pair of mids in each of four doors then four tweets is fine but if you're talking about two pair of tweets in front, I would say that's too much. Good tweeters get loud on very little power and if they're aimed properly, they're even louder.
Here's how mine are arranged:

1506953_10202191707494960_110672143225649970_n.jpg

I'm running two tweets to three mids but I'm also running 8" mids so it's equivalent to one tweet per two 6.5s and I have no trouble hearing my tweets. Plus, I get a good sound stage in front.

As for crossovers, Parts Express has a lot of good premade passives but if you're planning to run pa mids, I would recommend running an active system because you have the ability to play with crossover points.
I'm thinking 1 set ( 2mids 2tweets) up front and 1 set in bak. Its go'n in an Expedition that has 3rows an we do a lot of movie watching wit the kids. I jus want an all around clear sound. In my jeep I had to turn the coax 6x9's up to the high 30's (40 is max) to get decent voice. Mind u doors weren't treated but I don't think it shud have much to do with vocals from a movie. So u think 1 set up front and 1 set in back would be much or get a strong front stage an coax rear fill?

I'm thinking 1 set ( 2mids 2tweets) up front and 1 set in bak. Its go'n in an Expedition that has 3rows an we do a lot of movie watching wit the kids. I jus want an all around clear sound. In my jeep I had to turn the coax 6x9's up to the high 30's (40 is max) to get decent voice. Mind u doors weren't treated but I don't think it shud have much to do with vocals from a movie. So u think 1 set up front and 1 set in back would be much or get a strong front stage an coax rear fill?
I'm a fan of a strong front stage but that's just a preference. You may not like chocolate ice cream but I do. That doesn't make either one of us right or wrong it just means we have different tastes.

I'd look into the Soundqubed PA mids and supertweeters. Should get plenty loud and sound quite good if set up right. I run 4 6.5's and 2 supertweeters in the wife's minivan and it sounds very good for a budget set up...

I'd look into the Soundqubed PA mids and supertweeters. Should get plenty loud and sound quite good if set up right. I run 4 6.5's and 2 supertweeters in the wife's minivan and it sounds very good for a budget set up...
Do u use crossovers? Iv never used compo's so I'm not sure I wanna try an active set up my first time. Unless it's not as difficult as it seems.

I would look into CDT's MX series. What I'm looking to run over the summer. Have heard nothing but phenomenal things about them.
Any idea of a price on the MX's. I found some old model CDT's the Forum-65 that are $200 a set which is dead on my budget. Try'n to stay within $400

Do u use crossovers? Iv never used compo's so I'm not sure I wanna try an active set up my first time. Unless it's not as difficult as it seems.
It's really not.. People can give you crossover recocomendations that would be in line with most passives, if you go active, and from there you just adjust based on the sound in the car.. Sometimes moving the crossovers up on the mid and down on the tweet a bit or visca versa can sound better.

It's really not.. People can give you crossover recocomendations that would be in line with most passives, if you go active, and from there you just adjust based on the sound in the car.. Sometimes moving the crossovers up on the mid and down on the tweet a bit or visca versa can sound better.
Wud I need 2 4Chan amps or do tweets go in 1Chan and mids on the other?

tweeters have a built in cap/xover. Mids I use an FMOD for the LPF and HPF on the HU to create the passband needed...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.